• FORUM DONATIONS OPEN The forum relies on your help to continue running, if you would like to help keep the forum running then you can find out about donating here

Planning to adopt a second guinea pig

Shaivy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a guinea pig , he a cute baby boy and his name is ‘Mellow’ .He has been with us since 2.5 years now. Initially I brought two of them piggies home and soon one died, and then i was scared to bring another one. I spend most of my time with him, But now after 2.5 years, i feel that my baby needs a friend. But I am still scared to bring another one home, and how they will interact, and bond.As he has been living alone since 2.5 years. The thing which I am most worried about is that, will he affect my mellow’s health. Please help. Thankyou 😓😓

Eddie & Elvis

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Going to a rescue that does piggy dating will allow your boy to chose a friend for himself which gives a much better chance of their bond working out. There should only be problems if the piggies are not compatible so dating is a great way to avoid that. There's a rescue locator if you don't know where your nearest one is but I can't link from my phone. Someone who can should be along soon 🙂

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2021/22
Reaction score
:agr:
Character compatibility is the key to a successful bond. If you were to just go out and buy another piggy, then there is a 50/50 chance of success/failure. If they aren’t compatible, then they will need to be separated and live in separate cages side by side to enable through the bar interaction.
If you have a rescue centre nearby who can help you find the right piggy, then your chances are much better of having a successful bond.
You would also need to ensure your cage is big enough for two boars to give them enough space - 180cm x 60cm

A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars

If you do go down the route of buying a piggy on spec, then you will need a separate cage in case of failure. The guides below explain how to carry out bonding. But no trick in the book can make piggies get on.

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs