• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

please advise feeling sad now :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

eva

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
8...hi really hoping you can all give me some advise as I think I might cry 8... I just went to a pet shop today to have a look at there guinea pigs thinking I might take a little boy after cage I am waiting on comes from E bay. I told her I had a 3 tier cage on the way http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280641815331&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT this one to be told that tier cages are awfull and that the pigs often fall down the ramps and kill them selfs and I might come down in the morning to find a load of dead gunieas at the bottom of the cage well even the thought makes me want to 8... please any advise from anyone would be very good as I am feeling really flat after spending £88 on a cage I am now told is useless anyways.

My friend has this cage, She has made some adjustments to make a bit safer. I'll point her towards this post :)! xx

Guinea pigs can fall off ramps and injure themselves but you can easily make modifications to make them safe to use. You can adjust the angle by adding a block underneath, add sides, make the surface more grippy, or make a tunnel cover.

:)

thank you so much for your replys the thought of killing piggies is awfull :( being thick how would i add a tunel cover? i really like that idea.

Guinea pigs can fall off ramps and injure themselves but you can easily make modifications to make them safe to use. You can adjust the angle by adding a block underneath, add sides, make the surface more grippy, or make a tunnel cover.

:)

I use a cat scratch board. :D It seems to be pretty effective. <3

My friend has this cage, She has made some adjustments to make a bit safer. I'll point her towards this post :)! xx

Thanks flintstones.

Yes, I have a cage like that although I only use 2 tiers but the same would apply to 3 tiers. I have one of the 120cm ones and one 100cm. On both the lower short ramp (onto the wooden shelf) is fine as they often ignore it and just jump up and down off the shelf anyway.

The other ramp (from shelf to upper level) I made sides for them out of correx. Basically by taking an 'almost ramp length' bit of correx which was wide enough to go across the width of the ramp and also make sides of a couple of inches or so. I scored the correx and bent it round the ramp, attached with screws sideways into the ramp. I put big washers round the screw heads before screwing them in so they didnt go right through and had better grip.

I'm sure there are lots of other things you can use too if you dont have correx - I just had some handy. I also line the ramps with fleece which are attached to the fleece I use in the upper levels. I might change that to vetbed though for better grip the next time I make fleecy liners....

Hope this helps - dont worry - make some slight adjustments and your cage will be great :)

x

i also have this cage but with two tiers, i have covered my ramp in a rubbery type fabric so they dont slip down it and i have bent a c&c grid into a you shape and put it under the ramp with bits coming upwards so that they cant fall over the edge at the top.

I am sure its safe hon, please dont worry and definately please dont cry :)

I made a mezzanine for my cage, used a wooden shelf for the ramp and glue (with wood glue) a piece of carpet for adherance. My pigs love their extension! Rarely do they try to jump from the top (they're quite fat!).

They are plenty of easy and cheap ways you can make your cage better, don't worry! Plus, we know some pet shop workers are not always knowledgeable.

Hi Eva, please don't worry yourself; as you can see, other people have the same pen, including me. I have made some very simple adjustments to the ramps that be can see in my post, here is a link to it. http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=56669
Don't worry if they don't use the ramps straight away, they will soon be scampering up and down in no time.
I think before long you will be glad that you bought the pen.
Have you thought about getting your Piggies from a rescue near you. The Piggies will be healthy and already bonded as buddies.
I don't know whereabouts in the country you are but there will be a very good rescue near you and they are probably members of this forum.
Here are a couple of links that may help you.
http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19
http://www.guineapigrehome.org.uk/

I had just brought home my second hand two tier hutch when someone told me about the ramps and piggies hurting themselves. Now my hutch doesnt have a ramp so I can start from sratch, but having seen the tunnel covers - which I was thinking of making, but will buy now cos my disasters at the beds is just hilarious :p But now you know the potential risk and can do something to prevent any accidents 8)

Thank you so much for everyone's replys you have made me feel a lot better I am thinking I will try and make a tunnel for my ramps not sure out of what yet was thinking about a bottle with felt not sure if it would be to harsh though what does everyone think?

I have one ramp in my two story cage. It works fine. They dont do anything silly off it so dont worrie!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back