• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Please Help, Boars Fighting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DervlaE

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hey everyone, i'm new and haven't had a chance to introduce myself but I'm in a bit of a mess right now.

I recently got two new piggies, boars. They are not from a petshop, but have been together since before I got them. They are both 6 months old and in their teenage phase. I've had them for about two weeks now and they have been fighting for dominace, growling, moving their behind back and forth etc.. I have been allowing them to do their thing so far as the other cavy seems submissive enough. However after feeding them their morning veggies I noticed that they were both growling. Food was gone at this point so there was nothing to fight over. They both went back on their hind legs and were showing teeth, afterward they were both chattering their teeth and it didn't appear to be subsiding. So I separated them. (Just as a note I have them in a very large c&c like cage with all hides having multiple exits and plenty of distractions) They were both very distressed but I gave them an hour to 'cool down'. During this time I made their cage nuetral, cleaned down everything changed their fleece. I gave them a bonding bath and cleaned there grease glands in hope that they could re assert their dominace and the fighting would stop but it began again. More chattering, this time only from the usual domiant guy. I now have them spearated again as I don't feel comfertable leaving them unattended right now. One pig (the usual dom) is not handling it well though seems very distressed, is sqeaking and chewing on the bars, i fear him breaking his teeth. I honestly feel awful but have no idea what else to do! Need some advice asap! I have done all I can think of!

image_zpsuw4k555c.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Reference to what the current situtation is. Grateful for any advice.

Oh dear. We had the same problem. Separating piggies works but if it upsets them, oh dear. They may work it out, some say bathe them so they smell the same. You could try putting them together with a towel ready in case they fight. Ours chatter and rumble but it's normal, just being boys behavious...I hope someone with more experience helps soon! @Wiebke might be able to help, she's very knowledgable about piggies.
You may find some of these threads useful, too. Good luck x

Hey everyone, i'm new and haven't had a chance to introduce myself but I'm in a bit of a mess right now.

I recently got two new piggies, boars. They are not from a petshop, but have been together since before I got them. They are both 6 months old and in their teenage phase. I've had them for about two weeks now and they have been fighting for dominace, growling, moving their behind back and forth etc.. I have been allowing them to do their thing so far as the other cavy seems submissive enough. However after feeding them their morning veggies I noticed that they were both growling. Food was gone at this point so there was nothing to fight over. They both went back on their hind legs and were showing teeth, afterward they were both chattering their teeth and it didn't appear to be subsiding. So I separated them. (Just as a note I have them in a very large c&c like cage with all hides having multiple exits and plenty of distractions) They were both very distressed but I gave them an hour to 'cool down'. During this time I made their cage nuetral, cleaned down everything changed their fleece. I gave them a bonding bath and cleaned there grease glands in hope that they could re assert their dominace and the fighting would stop but it began again. More chattering, this time only from the usual domiant guy. I now have them spearated again as I don't feel comfertable leaving them unattended right now. One pig (the usual dom) is not handling it well though seems very distressed, is sqeaking and chewing on the bars, i fear him breaking his teeth. I honestly feel awful but have no idea what else to do! Need some advice asap! I have done all I can think of!

image_zpsuw4k555c.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Reference to what the current situtation is. Grateful for any advice.

Hi! It is a difficult age. When you let the boys cool down, please do so overnight - an hour is not enough when tempers are aroused and testosterone is coursing through the body. Give your boys a day or two before you try again; their bond is not going to be broken in that short time if they still want to be together when the chips are down.

It is not the dominant boy, but the underboy you need to watch - his reaction during a separation will tell you whether a bond is still functional or not. Your two boys are obviously fairly closely matched in dominance, which makes it very difficult when they hit one of the worst times together.

There is unfortunately only so much you can do (and you have clearly done it) - but if the two boys keep clashing then they are obviously not going to work out as balanced pair and may be happier with having their own territories next to each other. No trick in the book can magically make them live happily together. :(

When you try another re-introduction, please do so outside the cage and transfer them back together only if they get on.
Boars: Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?

image.jpeg

The other photo doesn't seem to be uploading, thank you for your responses! The black piggie (dom) as you can see is very, very distressed he is making me feel so guilty poor bug. He is really chewing on those bars is this okay? My other piggie (sub) did look for him and called out to him they communicated through the bars for a couple minutes and he then went about his business and doesn't seem too fussed is this a good sign? Going to read through all the links you both left now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back