• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

please help, cut into piggies vein whilst clipping nails

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi
Ive just trimmed my guinea pigs nail and ive accidently cut into the vein and its bleeding, no shops open to go and buy any of the bleed stop, is there anything i can use to stop the bleeding?
Many Thanks
Carly

Don't panic, just apply a little pressure and wait. The bleeding will stop no need to do anything. Did it myself, accidents happen and it's no big deal.

In the states they purposely cut the quick to get a blood sample.

Dont worry, a little direct pressure will stop it. It happens to us all. Nails always bleed a lot. Just keep is as clean as poss for the next few days. Will usually heal just fine.

x.

Ive put some flour on it, I'm sure i read on here a couple of weeks ago to do that, well it seems to have sorted it, hope its not goin to start up again in the night. x

Ouch, I didn't know that :{

Putting a little cornstarch on the bleeding nail will act as a clot, and stop the bleeding.

I only know as when Bette was ill, we wanted a blood sample and were discussing the options. My vet told me he would not do it as it's in humane, but can't say I like how they do it in the UK.

The pig is put under GA, and the blood is taken from the neck! :o.

I decided against Blood work.

Ive put some flour on it, I'm sure i read on here a couple of weeks ago to do that, well it seems to have sorted it, hope its not goin to start up again in the night. x

Was jsut gonna say that! Oncve it's clotted it shouldnt start again :)

My mum works with dogs and it happens a fair amount of the time, with any animal. What you cut in to was the quick which is the vein, it will bleed and your guinea pig my be in brief, momentary, pain but not much, like when you get a paper cut or rip a hangnail. They make things to stop or slow the bleeding and you can use household items, just calm down and stop the blood and your piggy should be okay!

i went to the vets the other night to get my dogs vaccinated, and their nails cut, but the vet said its best to leave the nails and they should naturally be the right length, obviously i have followed her advice, but they look sooooo long to me!

Anyone else heard this?

Also, what age do piggies nails need to start being cut?

I think it's from about 6 months they need trimming.
I think dogs nails should only be left if they're naturally worn a lot on hard ground, they shouldn't be curving though.

thats what i thought, they are curving slightly, but the ends are pointed not flat like i would expect. And, they really do pound the pavements, well they have been recently as my oh has been out of work and walks them god knows how many times a day!

i went to the vets the other night to get my dogs vaccinated, and their nails cut, but the vet said its best to leave the nails and they should naturally be the right length, obviously i have followed her advice, but they look sooooo long to me!

Anyone else heard this?

Also, what age do piggies nails need to start being cut?

Some guinea pigs nails grow slower than others. Paris's nails grow rapidly and she needs them clipped often. My friend's guinea pig, who sadly passed away the other month, didn't have that issue, it's all on the pig. But it's like people's nails in that way, some grow faster than others.

Our family dog's nails look massive as well but everytime my mum's taken him to the vet he's said there's nothing wrong with their size. He is a very big dog though. He's an absolute nightmare. My mum's house is all laminated flooring minus the upstairs (where Bruno is banned) and you can hear him coming before you see him because of the rapid 'clickclickclickclickclick' on the floor. Bless him. He's some dog.

Our family dog's nails look massive as well but everytime my mum's taken him to the vet he's said there's nothing wrong with their size. He is a very big dog though. He's an absolute nightmare. My mum's house is all laminated flooring minus the upstairs (where Bruno is banned) and you can hear him coming before you see him because of the rapid 'clickclickclickclickclick' on the floor. Bless him. He's some dog.

ha ha yes its a bit like that in my house, also, they slip a lot on their nails so i have to put mats down, poor loves lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back