• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Please help me find a hutch for 2 sows!

PiggyPoo

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi,

Please can you help me find a 4 x 2 double teir hutch with an extended run! I’m looking for......

*A sleeping section top and bottom that is 4 x 2
*Wooden all the way round for warmth in winter
*A run attached

Similar to this one..... but this is 3 x 2. Or do you think this would be ok with it being 2 tier?

7919EA35-4B2E-42F8-B9E4-3012E1877737.png

Double Hutch with Run

Mine are indoor piggies but there are forum piggies who live outdoors.
I’m sure someone will be along who can help

You need to stick to the minimum size per level as piggies often follow each other round so the extra level doesn't add anything. I would also consider maybe going for a larger hutch as there will be plenty of times when they can't go out in the run such as cold or wet weather. I have a Chartwell 2 storey hutch and mine is 6 x 2 though I know they do a 5 x 2 as well. The good thing with the chartwell hutches is being able to get the insulating cover and the weatherproof cover to go on which really does make a huge difference to the temperature inside the hutch and the lifespan of the hutch itself

You need to stick to the minimum size per level as piggies often follow each other round so the extra level doesn't add anything. I would also consider maybe going for a larger hutch as there will be plenty of times when they can't go out in the run such as cold or wet weather. I have a Chartwell 2 storey hutch and mine is 6 x 2 though I know they do a 5 x 2 as well. The good thing with the chartwell hutches is being able to get the insulating cover and the weatherproof cover to go on which really does make a huge difference to the temperature inside the hutch and the lifespan of the hutch itself
Thank you! That’s my concern as well, when they can’t go in the run, but I have a separate run for the grass/shed which is just 4 x 3ft. And also an indoor cage/pen for extreme weathers.

I’ll probably have room for a 5 x 2 with extended run for the patio and I will defo be getting a cover.

Thanks for your help xx

Thank you! That’s my concern as well, when they can’t go in the run, but I have a separate run for the grass/shed which is just 4 x 3ft. And also an indoor cage/pen for extreme weathers.

I’ll probably have room for a 5 x 2 with extended run for the patio and I will defo be getting a cover.

Thanks for your help xx

No problem. Mine are out all year unless the cold weather gets too extreme and then they go in the garage. I would definitely look for one like your photo where the bottom level is off of the ground as even in summer the early morning ground can be damp and cold.

That sounds good! Don't be surprised if your piggies don't use the ramp for a while - they will get there! You should be OK without the covers for a bit just keep checking back on both sites regularly or you could email them asking when the covers will be back on stock.

I’ve decided to go for the 5ft Chartwell double.

The hutch hugger and insulator are out of stock on both sites! 🤦🏽‍♀️ Can’t find them anywhere else xx

Keep an eye out. Have you tried Amazon? I can't remember where my other half brought the insulating covers from now

That sounds good! Don't be surprised if your piggies don't use the ramp for a while - they will get there! You should be OK without the covers for a bit just keep checking back on both sites regularly or you could email them asking when the covers will be back on stock.
Yes I’ve heard they can be a little reluctant with the ramp at first. I’ll do the scent thing and make them as comfortable as possible.

That’s a good idea! I’ll email them and keep checking!

I’ve just placed my order for the 5ft double with bye bye fly snuggle and cover! Excited!

Just a couple of questions...

I take it you leave the snuggle and cover on all year round?!

Can you recommend a good thermometer with a device you can see outside temp in the house?! Where in the hutch do you place it?!

Can I see some photos of your hutch set up please?!

Thanks
Hayley

Yes you can leave the hutch snuggle on all year round. It helps keep the hutch cooler in summer and warmer in winter. It is designed to go underneath the hutch hugger which I also keep on all year round. Don't know about the thermometer as I haven't got one.

Here is my hutch - its the Chartwell 6ft double.

New hutch.JPG

OOOOO how exciting! Is it a double or a single? Spam us with pictures once it's all put together!

OOOOO how exciting! Is it a double or a single? Spam us with pictures once it's all put together!
I’ve ordered the 5ft double from Scratch and Newton because they had the bye bye fly snuggle and cover in stock today!

I will! 📷 I’m looking for a wooden hidey house to go under the ramp! *any recommendations welcome! Xx

@Betsy @Lady Kelly How many pigs do you keep in your 6ft hutch?

How many could I fit in my 5ft double?

* I may have just fallen in love with this boy who isn’t far from me!

*View attachment 92894

I'm not sure really, our guide on here indicates a 5ft hutch is only good for two piggies which I'm sure used to be different. I've tried to find the RSPCA guidelines online but they aren't easy to come across and each RSPCA seems to have differing opinions. One page indicated 120 x 60cm for 2 piggies increasing by 30cm for each additional piggy which is the guidance I must have seen when I was looking for my hutch. This indicates that a 5ft x 2ft hutch would be enough for 3 piggies though with the baby you need to remember that he will need to be kept separate until he is old enough to be neutered and then a further 6 weeks. Often babies struggle with being on their own especially if they can't have contact through cage bars so he may not cope with the waiting time. I would personally look for a ready neutered boar from a rescue where they can assist with bonding also

I have 5 piggies in my 6ft hutch. A 6ft hutch is only recommended for 4 really but as it has an extra level where they quite often go for time out it is OK. I did ask on the forum when I was moving them from a 5ft to a 6ft what people recommended as I know I should have a 7ft hutch but I couldn't find a 7ft double decker hutch nor could I afford a 7ft single hutch. (My piggies were used to a 2 storey hutch) and those that responded and I came to the conclusion that a 6ft double decker hutch would be sufficient.I Need To Get A New Hutch Help Needed With Transition Please

Back