• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Please help me, my dad refuses to take me to the vets! :'(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I went to give my boys a heath check this morning and when I got to Barney's penis I noticed something wasn't right. I pressed down slightly to make it come out and his penis is purple and swollen to 3 times its normal size, also there seems to be 3 prongs sticking out of it. These prongs are sort of white/see through in colour and pointy, he seems to be in discomfort and it won't retract properly either. I've tried bathing it with luke warm boiled water but he shrieks and wriggles as soon as I go near. I want to get the vet out but my dad says no and he won't drive me anywhere either, he just says it'll sort itself out. Please help me, I'm so worried I'll lose my boy 8...

sorry i dont have any advice just wanted to say good luck to your little boy and i hope some more knowledgable members come along soon :(

I'm sorry you're in this predicament :( I don't really have any suggestions either I'm afraid, apart from what you are already doing. I hope your boy is ok and that someone more knowledgeable will help you out. Good luck.

I'm sorry to hear about this and there is not much we could advice you about apart from he needs vets urgently. hope you get it sorted x

I have no one that can take me, my parents just think I've got myself worked up because I've been crying, they don't seem to realise how serious it is! I have a photo of his its that I took on my mobile, you can't really see the purple-ness but I hope it helps you all to understand what I mean.

IMG00178.jpg

I know you're worried hun but you need to calm down then clearly and calmly tell them that you've done everything you can yourself and you've been on the forum for help and we think he needs to see a vet as this kind of thing can get worse and more expensive the longer you leave it so it's best to get it sorted now.
Failing that, ask your Dad how he would feel if his penis went purple, swelled up and had things sticking out it, would he just leave it?!

My mum and dad won't let me take him to the vets, my dad just shouted at me saying it was going to cost me a load of money and so to leave it. Barney's just lying still at the bottom of his cage, I hate to think of him in pain 8...

I'd gladly spend hundreds of pounds if it would make him better 8...

treating it early will probably cost you less than if you leave it to fester. Your father is potentially breaking the law (I assume you're under 18) as he is the responsible adult and as 'pet owner' is obligated to seek veterinary assistance if he knows of a health issue with said pet. Have you got the money for the vet treatment? Whereabouts in Cheshire are you?

normally there is only 2 things that stick out of the willyrolleyes thats normal, but its not normal to have 3, is it poss he has some hay sticking in it?

try putting some vasiline on it but please see if your dad will take him the vets as its poss he has a infection in it, poss he does have some thing stuck in it 2 sticky out things are normal but 3 is not, guinea willy reminds me of a snails head lol x

Awwww I'm sorry to hear about your boy,you'll have to get him checked out by a vet really, have you asked at your vets about a payment plan? You can pay your bill usually over a monthly instalment our local vets do it, you do end up paying a tiny bit more than the inital bill due to intrest, but you can pay say a fiver a month to cover his treatment bill....could you ask your vets if they do this? And if so you could go back to your parents to explain this and get your little man to see a vet :) If not I'm not sure what else you could do sorry xx

Oh my god, such a relief! I gave Barney a bath to see if the warm water may help him. After he'd scampered about a bit I checked his penis and a lot of the purpleness and swelling seems to have gone, it's not 100% normal but a lot better than it was a couple of hours ago - I think he may have got hair or something trapped round it. I'm going to see how he is in the morning and if he's no better or worse then the vets it is. Do you think it's wise if I separate him from Bradley for the night? They hump each other constantly and I don't want Bradley injuring Barney further.

Oh my god, such a relief! I gave Barney a bath to see if the warm water may help him. After he'd scampered about a bit I checked his penis and a lot of the purpleness and swelling seems to have gone, it's not 100% normal but a lot better than it was a couple of hours ago - I think he may have got hair or something trapped round it. I'm going to see how he is in the morning and if he's no better or worse then the vets it is. Do you think it's wise if I separate him from Bradley for the night? They hump each other constantly and I don't want Bradley injuring Barney further.

it's up to you whether you separate them. They may get upset at not seeing eachother... My old Bert used to have odd looking things coming out of his rear area, like worms but not quite... It would come and go on bouts.

I am sorry to say that hoomans who have poor personal hygiene also tend to have nasties reoccurring. I guess you'll have to just keep a closer eye on Barney than normal, just in case!

Phew! I wouldn't seperate them. You'll have to rebond them and he might get upset being away from his friend.

I'm glad your piggys feeling better, but i think you also need to remind him of the Laws in this country..

First off remind him

1/Don't Be A Jerk!
2/If found guilty in a court of law, he can be fined between £1000 up to £25,000 (in extreme circumstances,) and between 6 months to 5 years in prison.

Heres the UK animal welfare act which i think he needs to read regarding all the laws to do with animals .

This is LAW your dad can't argue this, if he does I'm sorry that hes your dad!

http://www.statutelaw.gov.uk/content.aspx?activeTextDocId=2926439

scroll down to section 4 everything you need to know is right there, but the whole document is worth reading!

Prevention of harm
Unnecessary suffering
(1) A person commits an offence if—
(a) an act of his, or a failure of his to act, causes an animal to suffer,
(b) he knew, or ought reasonably to have known, that the act, or failure to act, would have that effect or be likely to do so,
(c) the animal is a protected animal, and
(d) the suffering is unnecessary.
(2) A person commits an offence if—
(a) he is responsible for an animal,
(b) an act, or failure to act, of another person causes the animal to suffer,
(c) he permitted that to happen or failed to take such steps (whether by way of supervising the other person or otherwise) as were reasonable in all the circumstances to prevent that happening, and
(d) the suffering is unnecessary.
(3) The considerations to which it is relevant to have regard when determining for the purposes of this section whether suffering is unnecessary include—
(a) whether the suffering could reasonably have been avoided or reduced;
(b) whether the conduct which caused the suffering was in compliance with any relevant enactment or any relevant provisions of a licence or code of practice issued under an enactment;
(c) whether the conduct which caused the suffering was for a legitimate purpose, such as—
(i) the purpose of benefiting the animal, or
(ii) the purpose of protecting a person, property or another animal;
(d) whether the suffering was proportionate to the purpose of the conduct concerned;
(e) whether the conduct concerned was in all the circumstances that of a reasonably competent and humane person.
(4) Nothing in this section applies to the destruction of an animal in an appropriate and humane manner.

I'm sorry to say but if your parents refuse treatment again phone 999 and ask for the police or the local RSPCA and explain the situation to them, both the police and RSPCA have the power to prosecute your parent for Neglect.

Your parents are very good as giving you a telling off but once in a while even parents need one, there not always right!

Hope this helps you and the well being of your little guys!

Last edited:
This is LAW your dad can't argue this, if he does I'm sorry that hes your dad!

Prophet. You cant say things like that. Thats very disrespectful towards someones parent.
Yes you have your point to get across. And a good one at that. We all get caught out in a bad mood at some point.:x
I'm not saying nomore cos I dont want to cause trouble

Barney is happily tucking into his hay as we speak, I've just had another little look and his penis is now back to normal size, the prongs have disappeared back inside too. It still looks a little bit sore but so much better than it was, I'll be keeping my eye on him though :)

Forgot to add, Barney has had this problem before, it went away after he was bathed. I think it happens when he gets bits of hair and stuff wrapped round it.

If you do need to get to a vet and your dad won't take you, can you call a taxi? I'm assuming you have the money yourself to pay the vet bill, and wouldn't be waiting for dad to pay it?

Also, Prophet, I'm not sure that calling 999 for this would be very well received - I know it our mind it would be a real emergency, but I suspect they wouldn't look on it as such.

Anyway, GuineaPigg, I'm glad he seems better - keep an eye on it, and like katiepops said, I wouldn't separate the boys. And if you do have to go to the vet, take them both along so Barney has his friend with him. I always did that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back