• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Please Help Me Out!

Yes, I feel like the worst person /: I never saw this coming and never thought ab it, but as i said above I'm gonna now on save money incase. I will do whatever I can do for now on, and she's eating tho and i'm gonna make sure she somehow eats more and give her more vegetables. I'm keeping an eye on her.
Rebecca, you are NOT a bad person or a bad owner. Don't put this idea into your head. The fact is that you are a genuine girl who thinks that when the events go bad the adults are there with their money ready. The truth is different... many adults don't care of many things which are important for us (a piggie and his/her health for example); many adults see your piggie as a "piggie" which costs 10€ at the shop and it sounds absurd to pay a fortune at the vet...
And you, as a daughter, cannot do much. But maybe something can be done: ask your Grandparents if you have any; ask your parents about paying in advance your next birthday present/christmas present/party/pocket money/mobile's card (you can turn the mobile off, it is not necessary and I also live mobile free); you can call a vet in front of your parents and explain him the situation... maybe your parents will not like the poor figure or maybe the vet will sign for you some prescription.
Another thing you can do is explaining your parents (I am not sure they know this point) that your pet is not only a common piggie, but is the piggie you love... and if she dies without a vet you will suffer a lot...
And for the future, before adopting a pet, before homing a pet into a FAMILY, remember that a pet or a child or a guest or a plant is not YOURS, but it belongs to the whole family. If only one member of the family disagrees the presence of the VET or wants to be far from troubles (and also plants need expensive cares sometimes), it is better living pets free and this is what I have written in another thread and I will go on writing and saying this aloud.

I agree with Rochester Piggy, plus unfortunately you haven't got the luxury
Of time , guinea pigs crash and burn so quickly!

I'm sorry, but you MUST get her to a vet ASAP. I cannot stress this enough. Could you video your piggy breathing and post that on here? Offer to your parents to give up something for a month such as cell phone, TV, computer, etc.

I can't video her rn since apparently, idk why, but she's breathing normally right now. I cleaned their cage as good as i could, the bottle, bowl and even on the cage because there was some dust on it. Then I also changed their hay to new incase, and made sure to clean the whole cage with water. She seems fine right now tho and that surprises me.

Rebecca, you are NOT a bad person or a bad owner. Don't put this idea into your head. The fact is that you are a genuine girl who thinks that when the events go bad the adults are there with their money ready. The truth is different... many adults don't care of many things which are important for us (a piggie and his/her health for example); many adults see your piggie as a "piggie" which costs 10€ at the shop and it sounds absurd to pay a fortune at the vet...
And you, as a daughter, cannot do much. But maybe something can be done: ask your Grandparents if you have any; ask your parents about paying in advance your next birthday present/christmas present/party/pocket money/mobile's card (you can turn the mobile off, it is not necessary and I also live mobile free); you can call a vet in front of your parents and explain him the situation... maybe your parents will not like the poor figure or maybe the vet will sign for you some prescription.
Another thing you can do is explaining your parents (I am not sure they know this point) that your pet is not only a common piggie, but is the piggie you love... and if she dies without a vet you will suffer a lot...
And for the future, before adopting a pet, before homing a pet into a FAMILY, remember that a pet or a child or a guest or a plant is not YOURS, but it belongs to the whole family. If only one member of the family disagrees the presence of the VET or wants to be far from troubles (and also plants need expensive cares sometimes), it is better living pets free and this is what I have written in another thread and I will go on writing and saying this aloud.

Thank you so much, I do really care about my guineapigs because they mean so much to me and I want the best for them. I really can't believe there are people barely caring about their health and how they are living. But I do feel bad for not having the money, and yeah it's hard as an adult to get money, since i only got it monthly and it's not much. I will honestly try to save some money tho, the best I can even if I don't get much money, and also that's a good idea! I'll try it, but somehow she seems fine right now which surprises me, like her breathing is good and I don't hear any noise atm. I've explained it. I had her with sitting on my lap and told them to listen to the noise she made, and they got very surprised and talked about that guineapigs dosen't live long, which I obv know but just because we also talked about how much her energy changed. I started crying and told them how much I love her and that she means so much to me. & yes exactly, that's true. I didn't think that they would think it's too expensive so that we can't buy it because we don't have as much money ):

If your animal is ill then it needs to see a vet - end of. Nobody on here can diagnose your pet for you or provide it treatment. Neither can you diagnose your pet.

If you don't have the money to take the animal to the vets then you shouldn't have the animal - end of. It's not the animals fault you can't provide for them and they shouldn't have to suffer as a consequence. Here in England you are breaking the law if you fail to provide veterinary treatment for a sick animal (Animal Welfare Act 2006). You can be fined and even go to jail for it!

There is no excuse for not seeking vet treatment! Most vets offer a payment scheme for people who struggle to afford vet treatment. Many charities even offer free vet care for people who met a certain financial criteria!

At the end of the day, if your under 16 then the animal legally belongs to your parents and they have a duty of care to provide vet treatment for that animal. They agreed to that the moment they brought the animal. And that duty of care is still there, regardless of their financial situation.

Thank you so much, I do really care about my guineapigs because they mean so much to me and I want the best for them. I really can't believe there are people barely caring about their health and how they are living. But I do feel bad for not having the money, and yeah it's hard as an adult to get money, since i only got it monthly and it's not much. I will honestly try to save some money tho, the best I can even if I don't get much money, and also that's a good idea! I'll try it, but somehow she seems fine right now which surprises me, like her breathing is good and I don't hear any noise atm. I've explained it. I had her with sitting on my lap and told them to listen to the noise she made, and they got very surprised and talked about that guineapigs dosen't live long, which I obv know but just because we also talked about how much her energy changed. I started crying and told them how much I love her and that she means so much to me. & yes exactly, that's true. I didn't think that they would think it's too expensive so that we can't buy it because we don't have as much money ):
look, before ending up with any decision and struggle, you and your parents should try to call some clinic at the phone and ask how much the visit would cost because there might be a good surprise. It might be necessary only a paper with a list of medicines... And the vet might be young and in search of new clients... and might offer a very good price.
Anyway I don't know in Sweden, here in Italy you need to be 18 for going to a vet and get a visit, at least this is the general rule (and adults can deduct part of the amount from the taxes).
You say that your piggie is 4; in these 4 years has she ever seen a vet? I mean, do you know any vet? because very often vets offer a check up for free when it's necessary and you are a client...
I hope the best for your piggie, but especially for you as you are suffering more than your piggie now...
The only thing you can do which is not dangerous is adding vit C in her diet. Are you already using any supplement? if not, you can go to a supermarket and buy the one for humans. Better if you go to a chemist's because there are drops for newborns which have a good taste. The amount of vit C for a piggie is 20-40mg/kg daily but when they are ill they need more (and the excess is not dangerous because goes away with the urine). it is not a medicine but boots the immune system. You need to use a little syringe then because vit C fastly decrease with the air, the light, the time...
Don't give your piggie other supplements and other vitamins. Only vit C which is extremely cheap.

Heres a video of her! She seems fine right now, not breathing like that

Idk how that could change

look, before ending up with any decision and struggle, you and your parents should try to call some clinic at the phone and ask how much the visit would cost because there might be a good surprise. It might be necessary only a paper with a list of medicines... And the vet might be young and in search of new clients... and might offer a very good price.
Anyway I don't know in Sweden, here in Italy you need to be 18 for going to a vet and get a visit, at least this is the general rule (and adults can deduct part of the amount from the taxes).
You say that your piggie is 4; in these 4 years has she ever seen a vet? I mean, do you know any vet? because very often vets offer a check up for free when it's necessary and you are a client...
I hope the best for your piggie, but especially for you as you are suffering more than your piggie now...
The only thing you can do which is not dangerous is adding vit C in her diet. Are you already using any supplement? if not, you can go to a supermarket and buy the one for humans. Better if you go to a chemist's because there are drops for newborns which have a good taste. The amount of vit C for a piggie is 20-40mg/kg daily but when they are ill they need more (and the excess is not dangerous because goes away with the urine). it is not a medicine but boots the immune system. You need to use a little syringe then because vit C fastly decrease with the air, the light, the time...
Don't give your piggie other supplements and other vitamins. Only vit C which is extremely cheap.

I'm gonna convice them to let me do that, because they are so sure ab it being too expensive. and okay i'll go to the store tomorrow if i can, to see if there's any to buy

Also,
forgot to answer but no I haven't seen any vet because my guineapigs haven't been sick or anything before. & thank you! I uploaded a video of her rn and she's breathing good atm somehow :-)

Thess looks lively... what kind of bedding are you using for her? because now she is breathing well just on cotton bedlinen... try to put some of your linen into the cage (it would be better a piece of fleece) and underneath you can use newspapers which absorb the wee very well. You can also save a lot of money using fleece+old newspapers. This is the bedding I use which is cost free: (I use leaflets collected at supermarkets)
100_6944 (2).JPG
100_6942 (2).JPG
(I have posted this before watching the second video, sorry)

I can't understand if it is a normal sound...
Take a longer video, try to recorder her noises and tomorrow call and send an email and videos to an exotic vet explaining all the situation you have at home. If he has a big heart he will give you some advice...

I can't understand if it is a normal sound...
Take a longer video, try to recorder her noises and tomorrow call and send an email and videos to an exotic vet explaining all the situation you have at home. If he has a big heart he will give you some advice...

okay, I'm keeping an eye on her and I'll see if she does the weird noises again that worries me, and then I'll take a vid. Does it cost to call an vet and explain?

Thess looks lively... what kind of bedding are you using for her? because now she is breathing well just on cotton bedlinen... try to put some of your linen into the cage (it would be better a piece of fleece) and underneath you can use newspapers which absorb the wee very well. You can also save a lot of money using fleece+old newspapers. This is the bedding I use which is cost free: (I use leaflets collected at supermarkets)
View attachment 68316
View attachment 68315
(I have posted this before watching the second video, sorry)

I use wood shavings as their bedding. yeah, do you think that's the problem ? and do I fully take away the wood shavings if so, or have it underneath?

Also, just saying that Thess used to be able to squeak but now she's not as good and can barely squeak normally, idk if that's bad tho, if it's because of age or something.

wood shavings are not wrong and many owners use them, but if Thess breaths normally when she is on the linen I would give it a try...
And with fleece+newspapers you may also save money... from now on you need to save money and get a fund for the future, for being able to pay a vet; hoping this time things will fix.
I see she is very tiny, how much she weighs? is she chewing normally? Check her weight regularly, using your kitchen scale. Pick up some fresh grass for her if you can, grass has a rich nutritious value, more than vegs.

Back