• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Please help! Piggy very ill on public holiday

Izzy Park

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My youngest, and newest edition to the pig family is Teddy, who I unfortunately believe is barely clinging on to his life. I'm panicking because he's so unwell, and I wish i visited the vet earlier. I'm not visiting the vet until tomorrow, because todayy is a public holiday in australia. He's having runny poops, is quite skinny, showing to be quite lathergic, will eat but only after he poops, sometimes makes a squeak when he poops, and worst of all he's only 7months old. Any tips to help him last overnight? I'm praying and i believe he can make it. Thank you all. -Izzy

Sorry to hear about Teddy's issues.
If he is eating veg I think it might be a good idea to stop them while his poos aren't normal. He sounds like he's not eating enough overall (hay and nuggets) so probably also start supplementing his food with Critical Care/Recovery Food or if you haven't got them to hand you can use mushed up nuggets. The main thing is to keep him eating as much as possible and pooing too until you can get him to the vet. Best of luck , hope you can get an early appointment for him .

Sorry to hear that Teddy is ill.
He really does sound like he needs to see a vet asap - does your regular vet not have an emergency number on their answerphone?

In the meantime there is lots you can do to help Teddy.

This guide is an excellent place to start;

Illness Support Care Guides

Good luck with him.

Sorry to hear that Teddy is ill.
He really does sound like he needs to see a vet asap - does your regular vet not have an emergency number on their answerphone?

In the meantime there is lots you can do to help Teddy.

This guide is an excellent place to start;

Illness Support Care Guides

Good luck with him.
Thank you. We managed to find an emergency vet which opens even on public holidays. He's being forced fed every few hourse, and is resting after some pain killers. I'm seeing another vet tomorrow. - Izzy

Sorry to hear about Teddy's issues.
If he is eating veg I think it might be a good idea to stop them while his poos aren't normal. He sounds like he's not eating enough overall (hay and nuggets) so probably also start supplementing his food with Critical Care/Recovery Food or if you haven't got them to hand you can use mushed up nuggets. The main thing is to keep him eating as much as possible and pooing too until you can get him to the vet. Best of luck , hope you can get an early appointment for him .
Thanks! Managed to find an emergency vet open on public holidays. We are force feeding him every few hours, and hes resting after pain killers

My youngest, and newest edition to the pig family is Teddy, who I unfortunately believe is barely clinging on to his life. I'm panicking because he's so unwell, and I wish i visited the vet earlier. I'm not visiting the vet until tomorrow, because todayy is a public holiday in australia. He's having runny poops, is quite skinny, showing to be quite lathergic, will eat but only after he poops, sometimes makes a squeak when he poops, and worst of all he's only 7months old. Any tips to help him last overnight? I'm praying and i believe he can make it. Thank you all. -Izzy

Hi! Please see a vet ASAP! He is in pain, and that is affecting his appetite

Stop all veg NOW; the diarrhea is the result of him not eating any hay, which should make 80% of the daily food intake.
If you want to keep your piggy alive and the guts going, please use mushed up pellets as a stop gap measure to any recovery formula powder to start syringe feeding and watering him ASAP!

Cut off the tip as shown in our syringe feeding guide. Please switch from weighing once weekly to weighing daily at the same time. This is the only way you can control the food intake. Aim for 40-60 ml of syringe feed in 24 hours to keep him alive. You can get needle-less syringes from any pharmacy; most areas have got at least one pharmacy open for emergency cover. Check whether your vet also has got emergency cover from their answering machine message.
Not Eating And The Importance Of Syringe Feeding Fibre
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

Thanks! Managed to find an emergency vet open on public holidays. We are force feeding him every few hours, and hes resting after pain killers
Glad you were able to find a vet today. What does the vet think the problem is? I hope Teddy is better soon and gains some weight and energy.

Glad you were able to find a vet today. What does the vet think the problem is? I hope Teddy is better soon and gains some weight and energy.
Honestly, the vet isn't really sure what's going on. She reckons there might be a blockage in his gut. We don't know, but we are seeing our local vet today.

Back