• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Please help! Starting to feel hopeless.

avafaghani

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hey! I don’t know if anyone remembers me but I posted a thread a few weeks ago about my guineas having a possible URI, I got them treated and the vet told me to also cut down on their veggie intake. My poor piggies have been having these stinky, mushy, small poops and I feel so hopeless. I’ve had to go to the vet constantly since June and I just want them to be better, I can’t afford another vet trip and I’m going out of town next week so please help. DEDC3638-9D4A-43EA-A1E1-91E3F9AACD79.jpeg

This kind of poop suggests a gut problem.
Are you feeding them any veg and grass at all now? If so, please cut it all out entirely so allow their guts to resettle. Feed only hay - if I remember rightly, your piggies are on a pellet free diet. You should also give a probiotic to help settle their guts. This could take a few days for poops to normalise. If things don’t normalise after a few days off veg, then they need to see a vet.
However, and it’s a bit hard to tell from the picture, but if that is more diarrhoea like than just soft poop, then they do need to see a vet straight away.

I assume they aren’t taking any medication now and are fully recovered from the uri?

Digestive Disorders: Diarrhea - Bloat - GI Stasis (No Gut Movement) And Not Eating

Are you feeding them any veg and grass at all now? If so, please cut it all out entirely so allow their guts to resettle. Feed only hay - if I remember rightly, your piggies are on a pellet free diet. You should also give a probiotic to help settle their guts. This could take a few days for poops to normalise. If things don’t normalise after a few days off veg, then they need to see a vet.
However, and it’s a bit hard to tell from the picture, but if that is more diarrhoea like than just soft poop, then they do need to see a vet straight away.

I assume they aren’t taking any medication now and are fully recovered from the uri?
Thanks so much for the quick response!

Yes, I’m not giving any pellets and I give lettuce around twice a day but can stop that for sure. Their last dose of medication was last night!

Digestive Disorders: Diarrhea - Bloat - GI Stasis (No Gut Movement) And Not Eating
How long should I cut out veggies and where do I get the probiotic? Thanks again!

Definitely stop all veg and allow their systems to rebalance. they could be off veg for a few days. Don’t give them veg again until 24 hours after poops normalise, and when you do reintroduce, do it very slowly and preferably starting with herbs as they are gentler on the system. If poops don’t normalise/show any improvement after 24-48 hours of being off veg or if the poops get softer, diarrhoea etc, then they need a vet straight away.
There is a guide to probiotics below.
Also, weigh them daily while there are health concerns. This is the only way to be sure they are definitely eating enough hay.
I do need to urge you so speak to a vet though if being off veg doesn’t help within a couple of days. Too much watery poops will mean there is a risk of dehydration etc. We can only advise that the standard advice for soft poop is stop veg and that full diarrhoea is a medical emergency requiring immediate vet care, but ultimately only a vet is going to be able to tell you what is going on and whether they require some other treatment

Probiotics, Recovery Foods And Vitamin C: Overview With Product Links

Last edited:
Definitely stop all veg and allow their systems to rebalance. they could be off veg for a few days. Don’t give them veg again until 24 hours after poops normalise, and when you do reintroduce, do it very slowly and preferably starting with herbs as they are gentler on the system. If poops don’t normalise/show any improvement after 24-48 hours of being off veg or if the poops get softer, diarrhoea etc, then they need a vet straight away.
There is a guide to probiotics below.
Also, weigh them daily while there are health concerns. This is the only way to be sure they are definitely eating enough hay.
I do need to urge you so speak to a vet though if being off veg doesn’t help within a couple of days. Too much watery poops will mean there is a risk of dehydration etc. We can only advise that the standard advice for soft poop is stop veg and that full diarrhoea is a medical emergency requiring immediate vet care, but ultimately only a vet is going to be able to tell you what is going on and whether they require some other treatment

Probiotics, Recovery Foods And Vitamin C: Overview With Product Links
Thank you! I’ll start weighing them, currently on the phone with the vet and they offered VizBiome and Benevac for probiotics. Do these sound like good options?

I’ve not heard of vizbiome but Bene-Bac is a commonly used probiotic
Hey! I just gave the first dose of bene-bac so thank you for your help and I’ll keep updating :) I was wondering is it possible for guineas to be over hydrated? I’m giving the Bene-bac through diluted water.

one of my pigs is also eating the others poops now.

That’s normal. They eat healthy poops as a way of rebalancing their guts - it’s the natural version of probiotic. If you have a healthy piggy then you can take some of their freshly produced poops, soak them in water and then syringe the water to your poorly piggy. This can work better than a commercial probiotic.

That’s normal. They eat healthy poops as a way of rebalancing their guts - it’s the natural version of probiotic. If you have a healthy piggy then you can take some of their freshly produced poops, soak them in water and then syringe the water to your poorly piggy. This can work better than a commercial probiotic.
Hey! So it’s been around two days without food and one dose of a probiotic and this is what the poops are looking like now. What’s the next step?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 23
If they are looking better and its been 24 hours worth of better poops, then you can slowly reintroduce veg (starting with a mild herb such as coriander is advisable)l. If you haven’t had 24 clear hours of good poops, then keep off veg for a bit longer.

If they are looking better and its been 24 hours worth of better poops, then you can slowly reintroduce veg (starting with a mild herb such as coriander is advisable)l. If you haven’t had 24 clear hours of good poops, then keep off veg for a bit longer.
hey! Back again, so the poops are definitely looking better, but not 100% like pellets as they're still a little small but this may just be from not having any veggies. I've been giving the probiotic, hay, and vit c, should I start the veggies not with the pretty mediocre poops?

hey! Back again, so the poops are definitely looking better, but not 100% like pellets as they're still a little small but this may just be from not having any veggies. I've been giving the probiotic, hay, and vit c, should I start the veggies not with the pretty mediocre poops?

If you feel they are more of a normal consistency, then slowly reintroduce veg - a small amount at a time (literally a sprig or two of coriander for the first day of so, then build it up if all stays well. If poops go soft again, then stop all veg again and see a vet). If you are concerned they are still too soft, the leave off the veg for another 24 hours

In itself, not having veggies should not have made much of a difference to the size of poops - veggies are nothing but a snack and piggies shouldn’t be filling up on them enough for it affect poop size. Hay is the main part of their diet and is the only thing they should eat a lot of - lack of poops is a sign of not enough hay intake (not a sign of lack of veg).

Hey! it’s been another day and i’m currently out of town so this is a photo from my brother taking care of them. Still on probiotic, no veg, and vit c. I cant go to the vet for at least five days, the poops look a bit better than they were initially but not great and not as good as the third day. So sorry to drag this thread on but I just want to be extra safe! Thank you so much for everything

Attachments

• 50EB7C78-E31D-4682-8DAA-FEC33121A82A.jpeg
    50EB7C78-E31D-4682-8DAA-FEC33121A82A.jpeg
    135.5 KB · Views: 16
We obviously can’t tell the consistency from a picture, but they do still look a little off.
If poops haven’t resolved after a few days off veg, then they do need to be taken to a vet to check there isn’t something else going on. Is there somebody who can take them for you?

Have you been weighing them? Has their weight been ok?

We obviously can’t tell the consistency from a picture, but they do still look a little off.
If poops haven’t resolved after a few days off veg, then they do need to be taken to a vet to check there isn’t something else going on. Is there somebody who can take them for you?

Have you been weighing them? Has their weight been ok?
Unfortunately i’ve gone to the vet three times already and my Dad and brother who are currently taking care of them aren’t exactly pro-animals. I could definitely take them when I get home myself but is there anything they could do until then to stabilize them a little more? I’m kinda pissed at this vet because I asked if a probiotic was needed and she said no and it seems that nor the bloat issue was fixed, and their poops and energy are worse. As for weight the last time I weighed them was around two weeks ago.

Unfortunately i’ve gone to the vet three times already and my Dad and brother who are currently taking care of them aren’t exactly pro-animals. I could definitely take them when I get home myself but is there anything they could do until then to stabilize them a little more? I’m kinda pissed at this vet because I asked if a probiotic was needed and she said no and it seems that nor the bloat issue was fixed, and their poops and energy are worse. As for weight the last time I weighed them was around two weeks ago.

The only thing that can be done as a ‘step in’ measure is to ensure they are eating enough, and syringe feeding if they aren’t but they need to be weighed every single day where there is a health issue - two weeks ago is too long ago to know what is going on with their food intake. If they aren’t eating enough hay and their weight is dropping then stepping in is essential. You then have to adjust syringe feed amounts and frequencies so that each day their weight maintained. It is a step in measure though and getting the vet to diagnose and treat is the only thing that can be done to cure any problem .

The only thing that can be done as a ‘step in’ measure is to ensure they are eating enough, and syringe feeding if they aren’t but they need to be weighed every single day where there is a health issue - two weeks ago is too long ago to know what is going on with their food intake. If they aren’t eating enough hay and their weight is dropping then stepping in is essential. You then have to adjust syringe feed amounts and frequencies so that each day their weight maintained. It is a step in measure though and getting the vet to diagnose and treat is the only thing that can be done to cure any problem .
Okay sounds good. Again i’m not home for another few days but I could have my brother syringe feed them critical care? I’ll make sure to keep an eye on their weight from now on. As soon as I get home I’ll definitely take them to the vet and if their poops get worse I can try to drive home sooner. Does the critical care sound good for now?

Okay sounds good. Again i’m not home for another few days but I could have my brother syringe feed them critical care? I’ll make sure to keep an eye on their weight from now on. As soon as I get home I’ll definitely take them to the vet and if their poops get worse I can try to drive home sooner. Does the critical care sound good for now?

It depends on what their weight has been doing - if they are losing weight then they haven’t been eating enough and they do need to be fed critical care but how CC much depends on how much weight is being lost etc. If theyve been gaining weight (and continue to do so), then they are eating enough hay and don’t need support feeding.

Back