• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Please someone help us

Setting off to Northampton any minute. Our appointment is 4.20. Odin is fine and eating but does struggle to chew. The lump underneath his eye is quite big and red.
my local exotic vet called yesterday talked about putting him to sleep if it’s an abscess they can’t treat :(
I’ll always do the best by my boy and will always make the best decision for him. But I would much rather go see Simon and Kim first!

Setting off to Northampton any minute. Our appointment is 4.20. Odin is fine and eating but does struggle to chew. The lump underneath his eye is quite big and red.
my local exotic vet yesterday talked about putting him to sleep :(
I’ll always do the best by my boy and will always make the best decision for him. But I would much rather go see Simon and Kim first!
I've got the appointment straight after you x

How did the appointment go? X
Went really well :) thank you for asking. Simon said his teeth were not bad at all and that he’s really confident they will go back to normal.
As for the eye, he said the swelling was external and not from behind his eye. So he’s just drained it now and it’s pretty much gone. There was some pus in there so he’s given me Zithromax at 0.3ml twice a day again. Just hope it doesn’t upset Odin’s tummy too much 🤞🏻

@furryfriends (TEAS) thought we might have bumped into you!

Glad it was a positive visit :D
Hopefully your luck is finally turning to the brighter side.

Come on Odin keep munching & speedy recovery xx

That does sound like good news! Yay!
is Rocket improving too?
Rocket is much better. Back to his normal self. He still occasionally sneezes but the vet said that previous infection could have left some inflammation in his nose? His lungs are clear. He keeps chasing his brother for edible poos though, so I’ve been supplementing him with extra probiotic

Great news for Odin ! You must be feeling better after the visit to Simon. Here’s hoping your wonderful Odin continues to improve ! Also good to know Rocket is well ! Take care and enjoy your piggies and thinking of little Loki x x x

So Odin has been doing much much better. He’s so much more active and his eating near enough normally again (even hay). His coat looks better, he’s brighter, and just overall happier.

but we are back to the issue I originally took him to the vet for (well before the issue with his eye). Now that he’s eating again it’s becoming more apparent again. He is squeaking and in pain when passing droppings (definitely droppings, he passes urine fine). He’s had several ultrasounds and scans that show no signs of stones, though a few months ago there was some inflammation of his intestines. He’s been on every antibiotic and is still on Zithromax now. the vet mentioned months ago that he had a higher than average number of “normal” parasites that a healthy Guinea pig would just tolerate. They said they had treated that. He’s also still on metacam, intrafungal and Emeprid.

I’m wondering if the Giardia parasite he had as a baby has done long term damage (though he was fine for months after he recovered from that).

he eats fine, but it’s always after eating he will squeak or sit hunched. I’m running out of ideas as to what it could be?
Any ideas much appreciated!

So Odin has been doing much much better. He’s so much more active and his eating near enough normally again (even hay). His coat looks better, he’s brighter, and just overall happier.

but we are back to the issue I originally took him to the vet for (well before the issue with his eye). Now that he’s eating again it’s becoming more apparent again. He is squeaking and in pain when passing droppings (definitely droppings, he passes urine fine). He’s had several ultrasounds and scans that show no signs of stones, though a few months ago there was some inflammation of his intestines. He’s been on every antibiotic and is still on Zithromax now. the vet mentioned months ago that he had a higher than average number of “normal” parasites that a healthy Guinea pig would just tolerate. They said they had treated that. He’s also still on metacam, intrafungal and Emeprid.

I’m wondering if the Giardia parasite he had as a baby has done long term damage (though he was fine for months after he recovered from that).

he eats fine, but it’s always after eating he will squeak or sit hunched. I’m running out of ideas as to what it could be?
Any ideas much appreciated!
If no stones are present and antibiotics haven't worked, you might be dewaling with IC. My poppy has this and I use one cystease capsule a day and one vegan glucosamine tablet a day mixed with 2-3mls of water and syringe feed that once a dsay. She also has metacam when she's having very squeaky days x

If no stones are present and antibiotics haven't worked, you might be dewaling with IC. My poppy has this and I use one cystease capsule a day and one vegan glucosamine tablet a day mixed with 2-3mls of water and syringe feed that once a dsay. She also has metacam when she's having very squeaky days x
Thank you :) I can give it a try! x

Keep strong Marvel_piggie_squad and the lovely Odin - I hope you can find out what the issue is - sending lots of hugs to you all 🥰

Back