• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Please someone help us

Whenever I’ve had a piggy who needed weight boosting I put a ramekin dish in the cage with grated sweet potato & oats.
Another favourite with mine is a small piece of banana mashed in with the recovery food.
Ramekin dishes are very useful.
Hi, sorry to jump in on this thread but just wanted to ask you about the sweet potato and oats for weight boosting. Do you use the skin of the potato or peel it first, and are the oats normal porridge oats given dry straight from the packet?
Asking as I have an almost 6yr old male piggie who has lost a lot of weight over the past few weeks despite eating well.
Thank you in advance.

Hi, sorry to jump in on this thread but just wanted to ask you about the sweet potato and oats for weight boosting. Do you use the skin of the potato or peel it first, and are the oats normal porridge oats given dry straight from the packet?
Asking as I have an almost 6yr old male piggie who has lost a lot of weight over the past few weeks despite eating well.
Thank you in advance.

It may be best for you to start your own thread so that we can help you specifically relating to your individual case
Has your piggy seen a vet?

Thank you in advance.

Hi!

Please always start your own support thread and please see a vet to check for an underlying issue that could be causing the weight loss. Not everything will impact on the appetite but can be stabilised with the appropriate medical support. Any extra feeding won't slow down or stop this process; it is just like a putting plaster on top of an infected untreated wound.

You do not need to peel any veg, just wash it and normal plain porridge oats that have not been process further will do; you give them as they are.

So I had a nice chat with Kim today. She agrees that Odin may have some chronic inflammation/inflammation in caecum/LI , potentially as a result of the giardia when he was a baby, or because of something else.
Though he has been much better today. And today we had pop-Corning for the first time in months!
Because he’s happy and active, and eating, she said not to rush him down there yet and to just bring him to his appointment on the 25th. It may be he needs some cisapride prescribing.

we also went to pick Loki up tonight. he’s back home watching over his brothers 💔2A23087C-8000-4C46-9F99-B9A2BC4A6226.jpeg

Well done Odin love that’s he popcorning ! Good to have Loki back where he belongs. How are you Marvel_piggie_squad ? I know it’s been such a rollcaster for you and your family and the piggies. I’m hoping this is a more settled time for you 🥰

So I had a nice chat with Kim today. She agrees that Odin may have some chronic inflammation/inflammation in caecum/LI , potentially as a result of the giardia when he was a baby, or because of something else.
Though he has been much better today. And today we had pop-Corning for the first time in months!
Because he’s happy and active, and eating, she said not to rush him down there yet and to just bring him to his appointment on the 25th. It may be he needs some cisapride prescribing.

we also went to pick Loki up tonight. he’s back home watching over his brothers 💔View attachment 153654
This post made me smile and cry. Can't imagine what you are going through. I am so glad Odin is feeling more like his happy self.

I know you have lost Loki but so pleased to see Odin picking up 🙂 Hope you are feeling a bit better yourself now, you have been through an awful time.

So happy Odin has turned a corner x Little Loki, so sad you lost him, he will be watching over you all.
Sending hugs to you :hug:I hope things are going to get easier for you, you’ve had such a hard time x

Thanks all. It’s so hard not to be a paranoid mum now! Always watching the piggies and worrying something might be wrong...
It’s definitely been an experience the last few months!

I miss Loki every day. Still expect him to be first one over when I open the fridge door! But I think little Odin has taken on that role now!

Thanks all. It’s so hard not to be a paranoid mum now! Always watching the piggies and worrying something might be wrong...
It’s definitely been an experience the last few months!

I miss Loki every day. Still expect him to be first one over when I open the fridge door! But I think little Odin has taken on that role now!

There are some jobs in a group that are handed down from one piggy to the next; especially when it comes to food begging!

The rest is down to the healing power of time. You will never stop missing those that you have loved and that have been part of your life but there comes eventually the point where it doesn't really hurt anymore and where you can start feeling grateful for having had the blessing of them sharing their lives with you... But this is something that tends to creep up on you some months or in some cases years down the line.
The hardest and most painful time is now when you have to adjust your daily routine and all those little unthinking gestures, thoughts and moments when you become jarringly aware again that they are not longer there.

I think I’m going to try Odin on the Feliway Cystease, in case there is some IC going on as he is in quite a bit of pain when passing droppings and scans are showing nothing.

he’s currently around 650-750g (very slowly gaining weight..) and his appetite is really good.

Please can someone advise on dosage?
Also he’s on Zithromax still, will it interfere with this in any way?

thank you :)

I think I’m going to try Odin on the Feliway Cystease, in case there is some IC going on as he is in quite a bit of pain when passing droppings and scans are showing nothing.

he’s currently around 650-750g (very slowly gaining weight..) and his appetite is really good.

Please can someone advise on dosage?
Also he’s on Zithromax still, will it interfere with this in any way?

thank you :)

Glucosamine doesn't interfere with anything. My Breila is on it for her IC but she also has a cocktail of other meds at the moment for a gut issue which is unrelated, apart from a slightly lowered immune system that makes her more prone to pick up things from other piggies.

You mix the contents of 1 capsule with 2 ml of water. Shake repeatedly until it has fully dissolved and then again before you syringe it. A small medicine bottle would be ideal.
You can either give 1 ml of the solution 2 twice daily or 2 ml every 24 hours; there is isn't much in it. Please be aware that it needs some time to build up and that the effect is very gradual and near unnoticeable - but you may notice the beneficial effect after you have stopped.

All the best!

Back