• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Please spare a thought for them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jillybean said:
I just find this so hard to understand - are people tempted to that with their kids? I look at my 2 dogs, 1 is 7 and the other 9 and just love them so much, I sit and look at them when they're asleep for ages. I want to be there for them when they're old or ill - how can people just switch off like that?

I'm exactly the same,it makes me sick >:(

Sars1359 said:
Jillybean said:
I just find this so hard to understand - are people tempted to that with their kids? I look at my 2 dogs, 1 is 7 and the other 9 and just love them so much, I sit and look at them when they're asleep for ages. I want to be there for them when they're old or ill - how can people just switch off like that?

I'm exactly the same,it makes me sick >:(

I don't get it either..... I have a rabbit who is approaching 11 years old. I have had him since he was 8 weeks old. When I first got him he was so cute with perfect white fluffy fur and gorgeous blue eyes. He used to run around like a maniac and I could spend hours just watching him..... Now he looks a bit on the manky side ;D. His moults now a days make him look a bit like a shagpile carpet. He requires daily eye drops. For the first time ever I am incurring fairly hefty vet bills due to the eye problems and his arthritis. He no longer runs around much in fact most days he does very little so he is not as much 'fun' as he used to be. But would I change him? Never. He is much more affectionate now than he ever was and more importantly he is part of my family and I love him to pieces. I feel priviledged to have watched him grow up. I would never give up an animal just so I can go get a replacement.

I can not imagine myself ever giving up an animal but the only reason I can think of that would make me consider it would be if my health meant I could no longer care for them.

I know we are wandering off topic a bit now....but...

I remember when I was involved with general rescue, we took in several very old dogs. Two that spring to mind were ancient little terriers, one a Yorkie and one a Cairn, both were adopted by a friend. The Cairn had enormous mammary tumours that hung underneath her like a goats udder....and I do not exaggerate.
The Yorkie girl had a terrible heart murmur, mammary tumours and nails that curled into her pads. What these poor old abandoned girls went through while roaming the streets I just don't know...

My little old terrier passed at 17 and was loved until her last breath...still is.
If only it were the same for all animals. Something we can all only strive to see happen I suppose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back