• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Pls Help Identify Scabby Ear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nic bee

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello. I noticed my 5 mth old piggie has a scabby ear. Any ideas what it is. I've noticed he's been arguing with his older cage mate a lot recently.
It looks like a little cut scab but then there's a flakey bit around it?
Thank you

IMG_20151229_093911.jpg

Really? I would never leave my piggies if I thought they needed vet treatment but didn't want to take them unnecessarilyif it was going to heal itself but if a trip to the vets is recommended we better go!
Thanks for replying x

It does look like it may be fungal (the flaky area), but the scab could well be a bite mark from his cage mate. I would get the vet to confirm so that you get the right treatment. It's impossible to diagnose from a photo.

Agree that it looks like possible fungal but in the early stages if so. Once you have a diagnosis, I recommend Imaverol used either as a dip that is not rinsed off or as a topical treatment on the ear. Though with fungal you are best off treating the whole pig and not just the affected area so a dip would work better. You can then apply to the ear topically too. Also most types of fungal don't show up in a culture, only Ringworm does, so if the vet tests if and gets no result it could still be fungal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back