Pluto :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zofia

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My Pluto passed away this morning. I'm still in shock - he was eating and behaving normally last night but this morning when I went into their room to feed them I found that he'd passed away in the night. I don't know what happened. He was about 4 years old. From Walsall RSPCA.

:( Heartbroken. :(

The worst is that he left behind his girlfriend Stella and she seems devastated - I don't know if she really understands what has happened she just seems lost and sad. I think he'd been gone a while when I found him so she did spend time with his body but she keeps going back to the spot where he died and lying there quietly. Maybe she does understand, I wish they could talk!

Luckily she's still eating so I hope she'll be ok. I'm hoping to get her a girlfriend or two so she won't be lonely.

It's so awful when they go and there seems to be no reason for it :(

biscandmatt

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
i am so sorry for your loss. must have been such a shock :( seeing their friend grieve is hard too. sending you lots of hugs x

Zofia

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
i am so sorry for your loss. must have been such a shock :( seeing their friend grieve is hard too. sending you lots of hugs x
Thanks. It was just so totally unexpected. I keep going over in my head what could have caused it. I can't help thinking I must have missed something but he seemed perfectly fine yesterday.

biscandmatt

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thanks. It was just so totally unexpected. I keep going over in my head what could have caused it. I can't help thinking I must have missed something but he seemed perfectly fine yesterday.
i'm sure you would have noticed something wrong if there had been any sign. grief makes you question everything, but sometimes there just aren't any warning signs unfortunately. i feel as loving owners we always feel like we could have/should have done more, even when we couldn't. someone said to me once that love and grief are two of the strongest natural emotions we have, and that is why is hurts so much when they go. even though a shock for you, it would have been comforting for him to pass at home where he felt safe, and with his beloved friend close by aswell. give her a cuddle from us. i hope she will be ok. if she was with him then i'm sure she has understood what has happened but she will of course be sad for a while. it's good she is still eating. hugs x

artcasper

*Rescue Buddy*
Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
A www so sorry for your loss .. Such a shock x

Zofia

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm so sorry for your loss.

I expect you already know about this thread -
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/looking-after-a-bereaved-piggy.110463/
Thank you. Yes, I re-read it yesterday. Stella was with Pluto when he died and saw us take his body away when we found him. She has a "fake pig" which is a soft toy guinea pig that my pigs have always had in their cage. It will still smell like him and be a Pluto-substitute for a few days to comfort her. She seems brighter today although obviously she looks lonely. I'm going to start looking for new friends for her - I thought a pair of young sows would be nice because with 3 we wouldn't have the situation of one being left alone again.

Veggies Galore

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Thank you. Yes, I re-read it yesterday. Stella was with Pluto when he died and saw us take his body away when we found him. She has a "fake pig" which is a soft toy guinea pig that my pigs have always had in their cage. It will still smell like him and be a Pluto-substitute for a few days to comfort her. She seems brighter today although obviously she looks lonely. I'm going to start looking for new friends for her - I thought a pair of young sows would be nice because with 3 we wouldn't have the situation of one being left alone again.

Good luck in finding a companion (s) for Stella

Zofia

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Good luck in finding a companion (s) for Stella
Thanks. :) I've actually just found a neutered male about the same age as Stella for adoption not too far away from me - I've emailed the rescue so we'll see what they say. Fingers crossed he's still available - neutered males always seem to be difficult to find. A neutered male would be great and I could always add a sow to the group later on to make a threesome.

sport_billy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just saw your other thread and came over to the RB section.

I am so sorry for your loss of Pluto, he was obviously so loved and cherished by you and his wifey piggy. What a awful shock. Massive hugs to you at this time

Sleep well little boy

RIP Pluto
x x

Critter

Reaction score
Oh what a sad sad thing to happen. I'm very sorry for both you and little Stella, it's hard watching them grieve.
Good luck with the boar. Will you be able to do an introduction to see if they gel together before adopting him? xx

Zofia

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Yes - I have a neutered male & 2 sows . I love it when he tries to impress the sows - I'm more impressed than they are !
Haha! I know. I used to have a boar and 2 sows as well. I think it's a nice group dynamic. We'll start with Mr Fudge but I might consider getting another sow at some point.

Zofia

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Oh what a sad sad thing to happen. I'm very sorry for both you and little Stella, it's hard watching them grieve.
Good luck with the boar. Will you be able to do an introduction to see if they gel together before adopting him? xx
Thanks. I'm not going to take her for introductions I'm just going to bring him home and do the bonding here. I think it would frighten Stella to be away from home. I'm sure she'll get on with him though she was pretty submissive with Pluto and he wasn't a very dominant pig.

Critter

Reaction score
I see what you mean. Perhaps if she was stressed by the journey she may act all stressy at introductions too. When can you pick Mr Fudge up? :)

Zofia

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I
I see what you mean. Perhaps if she was stressed by the journey she may act all stressy at introductions too. When can you pick Mr Fudge up? :)
I'm going to the rescue Saturday lunchtime. So exciting!

Critter

Reaction score
Oooh it's like waiting for Christmas and the next few days don't go by fast enough! I felt like that getting my boar for Snowball.

Status
Not open for further replies.