• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Polydactyly on our boy

ThomasThePiggyDad

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi,

Looking for advice on our little boy Biscuit. He has polydactyl paws and we’re wondering if it’s something we can leave or something that we should get treated. I’ve read horror stories about piggies getting their extra toe ripped off by accident and would hate that to happen to our boy! He has an extra toe on both hind paws, both of which are attached by a very thin, skin tag like piece of skin.

It doesn’t appear to be bothering him currently but since we bought him, he has lost both nails from his extra toes so it’s definitely something I’m concerned about. Hopefully I’m just being an overly cautious new dad!

Attachments

• 0F167F53-7F15-48CF-BAA3-6BC76B522C22.jpeg
    0F167F53-7F15-48CF-BAA3-6BC76B522C22.jpeg
    28.1 KB · Views: 13
You can always ask the vet. I had a piggy with an extra toe thanks to inbreeding but it didn't bother her and we just left it

Hi,

Looking for advice on our little boy Biscuit. He has polydactyl paws and we’re wondering if it’s something we can leave or something that we should get treated. I’ve read horror stories about piggies getting their extra toe ripped off by accident and would hate that to happen to our boy! He has an extra toe on both hind paws, both of which are attached by a very thin, skin tag like piece of skin.

It doesn’t appear to be bothering him currently but since we bought him, he has lost both nails from his extra toes so it’s definitely something I’m concerned about. Hopefully I’m just being an overly cautious new dad!

Hi!

Please see your vet. If the extra toe is firmly attached, then nothing needs to be done as it won't bother your piggy; if it is only loosely attached, then it would best removed by the vet in a very easy and quick procedure to avoid heavy bleeding and infection in case it gets stuck or ripped.

Hi!

Please see your vet. If the extra toe is firmly attached, then nothing needs to be done as it won't bother your piggy; if it is only loosely attached, then it would best removed by the vet in a very easy and quick procedure to avoid heavy bleeding and infection in case it gets stuck or ripped.

Thanks! Luckily we have a vet in our area who deals with piggies so we’ll be getting Biscuit set up with an appointment! :)

Back