• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Poo Soup Question

valsie

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi All, I know about using poo soup for a poorly piggy but I’m not quite sure how much to give and the mixing ratios. How many fresh poos from the healthy piggy do I need to make the soup and how many times a day should it be given?
TIA

Hi All, I know about using poo soup for a poorly piggy but I’m not quite sure how much to give and the mixing ratios. How many fresh poos from the healthy piggy do I need to make the soup and how many times a day should it be given?
TIA

Hi!

There is no fixed 'recipe' - take some just dropped poos, soak them for a few minutes in a little water in the smallest small dish/container you can find; enough water to just cover the poos. Syringe straight away, about 1-2 ml.

You can do this safely between 1-3 times daily; ideally either 1 hour before the antibiotic or 2 hours after, or equidistant throughout the day depending on the severity of the loss of appetite/soft poos to diarrhea issue.

The crucial point of the whole exercise is to get some live microbiome into the gut somehow but it is not an exact science. We only know from practical experience that it really works and that when live stuff gets into the gut, it is much more effective than any probiotic powder although you can use that safely in combination with poo soup, too.

Back