• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Poo stuck in bum

Eliz20

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello,
I've noticed recently that my male guinea pig (8 months old) quite often has poo(s) stuck in his bum. Is this a sign of impaction and something he should see a vet for?
Thanks

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
It could be impaction but he sounds very young to be suffering from it already. Try and give him a clean so he can have some relief. I would also consider getting him checked out. Is this the first time you’ve noticed it?
Boar Care: Bits, Bums & Baths

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
:agr: Impaction is a weakling of the muscles which is something which happens in older boars normally.
if they are actually getting stuck, then please have him seen by a vet

VickiA

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you mean that they are actually stuck in his anal sac or that he walks around with one half in/half out before it drops to the floor?

Eliz20

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have a photo that I took yesterday, there are 2 poos stuck in on this photo. Does this look like impaction? Thanks for the responses so far.

Attachments

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I don’t think that is impaction. It’s usually a lot more than that, and more of a lump than 1-2 formed ones.

VickiA

Staff member
Reaction score
I do see this with some boars having one half in and half out. Particularly if they are a bit chunky or a bit inactive. Just keep a regular check on his bum to check he doesn’t get an impaction. But at the moment, that is nothing much to worry about

Hath

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have a 9yrs old who needs regular sack cleaning and I know it's impacted if I gently feel his sack between my fingers. You would feel a lump inside. He actually never has poo stuck like on a picture. One of my other older boys does that, tho. Usually walk in to find him stretched on a cuddly bed, with his boy parts on display and poop hanging out :eek:
Never found anything inside his sack during their 'boar MOT'.