• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Poop picking

Piano

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
If some people are poop picking twice a day, how are the piggies getting their nutrients? I thought they had to eat their own poop in lieu of multi chambered stomachs.
Bit confused!

The poop that the piggies eat they collect as they poop.
The vast quantity of poop all over the cage is the poop they don’t eat.
It can be very confusing

As above - caecotrophs get taken directly from their bottoms and eaten - they don’t touch the ground (youll see your piggy crouch round and get it straight out). The poops you pick up out of the cage are the waste poops.

my piggies have a litter box and still poop a lot so i just clean up in the cage and leave the litter box and only clean that every other day 😄

Eaty poops are different to waste poops. Waste poops are what have been through twice, eaty poops are what have been through once.

Eaty poops are different to waste poops. Waste poops are what have been through twice, eaty poops are what have been through once.
I've always wondered how on earth they know the difference! Clever little furballs!
And when a poorly piggie is following a cage mate around and eating the poops it produces, are they the eaty type or the waste ones?

I've always wondered how on earth they know the difference! Clever little furballs!
And when a poorly piggie is following a cage mate around and eating the poops it produces, are they the eaty type or the waste ones?
I have absolutely no idea! Maybe the waste ones have a bit of goodness in them? I really don't know.

That's fascinating. Thanks so much guys. Especially for the link!
They are clever aren't they.

My guineas seem to poop LOADS! Is this normal?! We have to sweep up twice if not three times a day! They are poo machines! Xx

My guineas seem to poop LOADS! Is this normal?! We have to sweep up twice if not three times a day! They are poo machines! Xx

yep it’s entirely normal. Lots of hay going in means lots of poops coming out. If you see a reduction in poop (or change in consistency), then there is a food intake/gut disturbance issue

Back