• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Poop Problems

MygirlsK1016

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I posted a thread a while back about my guinea pigs coming home with URIs. My poor Maisy about a week and a half into her meds for the URI (baytril and doxycycline) had small teardrop poop showing up a few times a day. I was told on my older thread to lessen veggies and give a probiotic around the time I gave the antibiotics. Both helped and got rid of the small teardrop poop. But now, we finally are off of the meds and I haven’t given many veggies, scared to disturb her gut, but there is a bit of soft/moist poop showing up. I can’t tell if it’s just fresh because the other poops, when dry, seem perfectly fine. I’ve continued with the diet supplement (very small amount) to help her gut get back to normal. But the poop just doesn’t seem 100%. I can’t tell if her or her cagemate is producing them based on their locations in our two floor pig mansion. (I’ve been keeping an eye out). I suspected it was Maisy just from her producing the teardrop ones but I don’t know. The soft poops are a good color and shape but seem a bit soft. My pigs are on fleece and their poops used to not get stuck to their feet but it’s happened a couple times in several days which I thought could also be a sign maybe there is an issue with their poop. They run around, play, and eat like normal. And the poop isn’t super mushy, still holds it shape but flattens and feels a bit wet on the outside. Is this something to be concerned about? Should I just monitor it if they are acting fine? Could it be I am not giving enough Vitamin C because I slowed that down after the teardropped ones?

It may be the tummy isn’t quite back to what it used to be. Continue offering masses of hay and pellets only. And cut out veg again until 24-48 hours after they’re back to normal. When you start giving veg, start with a sprig of coriander and see if their tuna/poops are okay.

Hay contains vitamin c and pellets are fortified with it. So there is no need to supplement with vitamin c. Doing so can bring issues of its own.

I hope they’re back to fighting for soon.

Hi everyone. I posted a thread a while back about my guinea pigs coming home with URIs. My poor Maisy about a week and a half into her meds for the URI (baytril and doxycycline) had small teardrop poop showing up a few times a day. I was told on my older thread to lessen veggies and give a probiotic around the time I gave the antibiotics. Both helped and got rid of the small teardrop poop. But now, we finally are off of the meds and I haven’t given many veggies, scared to disturb her gut, but there is a bit of soft/moist poop showing up. I can’t tell if it’s just fresh because the other poops, when dry, seem perfectly fine. I’ve continued with the diet supplement (very small amount) to help her gut get back to normal. But the poop just doesn’t seem 100%. I can’t tell if her or her cagemate is producing them based on their locations in our two floor pig mansion. (I’ve been keeping an eye out). I suspected it was Maisy just from her producing the teardrop ones but I don’t know. The soft poops are a good color and shape but seem a bit soft. My pigs are on fleece and their poops used to not get stuck to their feet but it’s happened a couple times in several days which I thought could also be a sign maybe there is an issue with their poop. They run around, play, and eat like normal. And the poop isn’t super mushy, still holds it shape but flattens and feels a bit wet on the outside. Is this something to be concerned about? Should I just monitor it if they are acting fine? Could it be I am not giving enough Vitamin C because I slowed that down after the teardropped ones?

Hi!

Baytril can act on the gut microbiome as well as on the bacteria it is used against. What you are witnessing is the result of this.

If you have other healthy guinea pigs not on any medication, you can try some 'poo soup' i.e. live healthy gut microbiome transfer if done properly with just dropped absolutely fresh healthy poos to ensure that the microbiome is still live when it arrives where it needs to go. If done correctly, it is actually more effective than any probiotic powder. The other measure that can help is a course of fibreplex. Most piggies don't like the taste and the big nozzle (it hasn't been engineered for piggies) but if you mix it with some pellets soaked in water or some made up recovery formula, it tends to go down well.
You can find the poo soup recipe and information on fibreplex in this link here: Probiotics, Recovery Foods And Vitamin C: Overview With Product Links

It may be the tummy isn’t quite back to what it used to be. Continue offering masses of hay and pellets only. And cut out veg again until 24-48 hours after they’re back to normal. When you start giving veg, start with a sprig of coriander and see if their tuna/poops are okay.

Hay contains vitamin c and pellets are fortified with it. So there is no need to supplement with vitamin c. Doing so can bring issues of its own.

I hope they’re back to fighting for soon.

Thank you so much. That makes me feel better. Yeah I stopped giving veggies as soon as I tried to slowly introduce them and realized it wasn’t helping. I think I will continue with just hay and pellets and will monitor the poops. They seem to be alright just some come out soft. Luckily both of my piglets are still full of energy and happy.

Hi!

Baytril can act on the gut microbiome as well as on the bacteria it is used against. What you are witnessing is the result of this.

If you have other healthy guinea pigs not on any medication, you can try some 'poo soup' i.e. live healthy gut microbiome transfer if done properly with just dropped absolutely fresh healthy poos to ensure that the microbiome is still live when it arrives where it needs to go. If done correctly, it is actually more effective than any probiotic powder. The other measure that can help is a course of fibreplex. Most piggies don't like the taste and the big nozzle (it hasn't been engineered for piggies) but if you mix it with some pellets soaked in water or some made up recovery formula, it tends to go down well.
You can find the poo soup recipe and information on fibreplex in this link here: Probiotics, Recovery Foods And Vitamin C: Overview With Product Links

I may try the fibreplex because my other piggy was also on the antibiotics. She seemed to handle them better (although she is smaller and slightly younger). I will be continuing to monitor the poops and make sure they don’t increase nor get worse

Back