• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Poop Scoop

Merab's Slave

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
A question to all you experienced fleece users.
I decided to give fleece a go and so when the cage was cleaned out in went their brand new fleece.
The jury is still on whether the girls like it.

But - my question is what do people use to poop scoop?
I used a vinyl glove and the dustpan today for the first poop scoop but there has to be an easier way.
I have discounted the vacuum cleaner :nod:

It’s amazing how much poop 4 guinea pigs produce in a day!

First pick up of the day I empty cages, take liner out and shake it on the veg patch. The piggies are either in the garden runs or retreat to their hay lofts while this is going on! Second of the day when there's not quite so much I wear a rubber glove and pick it up and put it in a bucket to throw on the garden or in the compost bin. I tried a hand held vac but there was so much poop I had to keep emptying it and it took forever!

My husband picks up the poops by hand but my daughter shakes the fleece anywhere on the front path! Shaking into the cage then dustpan and brush, or vacuuming, would be better though- thats what I do on cage clean days when its my turn :)

I use this. But I bought the one with a very soft bristle for the broom/brush so the fleece won't be damaged. I bought it from Home Bargain.

Microfibre-Mop-Floor-Brush-Dustpan-Set-Broom-Dirt-_1.jpg

I use a small brush and a large pan. I also have used a cat litter scoop to push the poops into the pan. I definitely find it easier to pull up the sides of the liner(corner)so the poops collect in the middle. Then I can just sweep the middle :)

My cages get the fleeces taken out every day, emptied into the bin, then have a good shake and brush off the hair with a rubber bristled brush. If it's looking bad in the evening then I'll generally just hand pick the poop out and put it towards my garden fertiliser!

A question to all you experienced fleece users.
I decided to give fleece a go and so when the cage was cleaned out in went their brand new fleece.
The jury is still on whether the girls like it.

But - my question is what do people use to poop scoop?
I used a vinyl glove and the dustpan today for the first poop scoop but there has to be an easier way.
I have discounted the vacuum cleaner :nod:

It’s amazing how much poop 4 guinea pigs produce in a day!
I use my bare hand. Lol, any grazing animals.poo doesnt bother me. But i wouldnt pick up a cow pat or anything haha. Or take every pig out and hoover it up with brush attachment. That way its a little less powerful and the fleece doesnt get sucked up

I pick most of it up by hand and then once a day run the handheld vacuum over the fleece to get rid of bits of hay and Fitch (both our lofts have Fitch rather than fleece). The piggies seem to have got used to the noise and sometimes come and have a quick sniff of it (just in case it may have become edible) 😁.

I use a rubber brush thing to sweep it all to the centre, and then pick up by hand - I get all the stray hay that gets chucked all over the place that way, too!

Occasionally I'll use the hoover - the pigs aren't phased by it and Higgins will often come right over to have a look - have to be careful though he doesn't get too close!

Back