• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Poop Troubles

Ruby Fawn

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi. So when I got my piggie Felix, his previous owners gave us the pellets that he was on at the moment. We ran out of them and I told my mom that we have to get the same kind or he’ll get bad poops. (As well as my other pigs) but she was not willing to drive just 20 minutes to the pet store for their specific pellets. My mom bought a different brand from Walmart because it was closer, and now Felix seems to be passing poops in pain (and his droppings are mushy) what do I do?

Hi. So when I got my piggie Felix, his previous owners gave us the pellets that he was on at the moment. We ran out of them and I told my mom that we have to get the same kind or he’ll get bad poops. (As well as my other pigs) but she was not willing to drive just 20 minutes to the pet store for their specific pellets. My mom bought a different brand from Walmart because it was closer, and now Felix seems to be passing poops in pain (and his droppings are mushy) what do I do?

Please take your boy off any fresh food and pellets for 24 hours and see whether that makes any difference. it sounds like a tummy upset. What kind of veg did he have in his previous home? Changing pellets usually doesn't usually make that much of a difference, but new veg or too much veg in the diet can.

If the poos are not starting to firm up again, please see a vet promptly. 80% of the daily food intake or more should be unlimited hay anyway. Please weigh him daily at the same time; if he is losing more than 50g (over 1 oz) please start support feeding.
Not Eating And The Importance Of Syringe Feeding
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

Please take your boy off any fresh food and pellets for 24 hours and see whether that makes any difference. it sounds like a tummy upset. What kind of veg did he have in his previous home? Changing pellets usually doesn't usually make that much of a difference, but new veg or too much veg in the diet can.

If the poos are not starting to firm up again, please see a vet promptly. 80% of the daily food intake or more should be unlimited hay anyway. Please weigh him daily at the same time; if he is losing more than 50g (over 1 oz) please start support feeding.
Not Eating And The Importance Of Syringe Feeding
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide
They didn’t tell us. When we got him it seemed they didn’t take very good care of him.. (small cage, dirty bedding, and no hay to be found) and I will be sure to weigh him.. (he’s the one in my profile picture)

They didn’t tell us. When we got him it seemed they didn’t take very good care of him.. (small cage, dirty bedding, and no hay to be found) and I will be sure to weigh him.. (he’s the one in my profile picture)

it is most likely that he has had very little in the way of veg and your new diet is too much for him.
If necessary, mush up his pellets, cut off the syringe tip as shown in the syringe feeding guide to help keep the guts going. Ideally you start with that right now or as soon as you can get a needle-less 1 ml syringe from a pharmacy and also some pedialyte to help rehydrating. Follow the directions on the package. If necessary, start with a spoon but it won't be as efficient as he will feel rather wretched right now, poor mite!

The sooner you step in with feeding fibre and offering him as much water as possible, the better to be honest. It is important to keep the guts going so they do not stop. I doubt that your boy has eaten any or much hay today. Please follow the tips in our syringe feeding guide.
It is likely just a upset tummy from new food and with your good and prompt care he will make it through in a day or two. If it persists, then you need to see a vet as it will be something more serious.
Guinea Lynx :: Diarrhea
Administering Medications
First Aid Kit For Guinea Pigs

it is most likely that he has had very little in the way of veg and your new diet is too much for him.
If necessary, mush up his pellets, cut off the syringe tip as shown in the syringe feeding guide to help keep the guts going.
Okay. Thanks for the advice

Good to hear that Felix seems to be doing OK. Is he eating his dried food as well as hay and are you keeping him off veg until his poop returns to normal?

Good news: Felix ate some hay, drank some water, and his weight hasn’t dropped at all. Hopefully he continues to get better and better :)

It is a very good sign that his weight is stable; that means that he is eating enough hay overall. Keep on monitoring his weight daily until he is safely out of the woods. But you must be very relieved!

Good to hear that Felix seems to be doing OK. Is he eating his dried food as well as hay and are you keeping him off veg until his poop returns to normal?
Yes. He is eating and his poops are actually firming up. Still gonna wait just a little bit though

Back