• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Poor Dennis is a bit grunty!

They are the same. Co Trimoxazole is septrin, which is the same as Sulfatrim. I am really confused as to what your vet is doing.
I was told that there is a Country wide shortage of Co Trimoxazole so Dennis has been given Sulfatrim instead.

The Co Trimoxazole was 40mg/200mg (says this on label of bottle) and the dosage 2ml twice a day.
The Sulftrim is 16mg/ml + 80mg/ml trimethoprim and sulfamethoxazole (says this on box, on label it says 30ml per ml) and the dosage is 0.31ml twice a day.

It's next to impossible to see the vet atm because of the Lockdown and they have also had a positive Covid test in one of the Practice nurses so I have to trust that the vet is doing what is right for Dennis

I hope this round of antibiotics does the trick for the lovely Dennis! Is his breathing showing some signs of improvement?

I hope this round of antibiotics does the trick for the lovely Dennis! Is his breathing showing some signs of improvement?
Well he isn't grunting as loud as he was and he doesn't vibrate in his throat when he's breathing which he did at the beginning. He goes in his nebuliser box twice a day too.

Well he isn't grunting as loud as he was and he doesn't vibrate in his throat when he's breathing which he did at the beginning. He goes in his nebuliser box twice a day too.
I'm glad he's got a bit better and I really hope the Sulfatrim does the trick xx

I've just left a message on PetsApp as that seems to have a quicker response time than emailing.
Heard back from the vets. A vet nurse replied saying that the dose was stronger which is why Dennis was prescribed less of it (duh! I already guessed that!) and that it was a 4-6 week course (which I had already worked out for myself!) so not really much help there! Not a very satisfactory response. I need to talk to the Organ Grinder not the Monkey!

Just sent this message to my vet :(
Am more than a little worried about Dennis now. Despite extra syringe feeds, antibiotics, probiotics and going in the Nebuliser box twice a day he has lost 125g in 13 days! He has pellets and forage in the morning which he shares with Betsy. He no longer wants his oats with something yummy he also has 24 hour access to hay. Not really sure what else I can do ....

Just caught up with this thread, hope all goes well today for Dennis. xx

Poor little Dennis, hope it goes well, ask about the Zithromax, it’s given a lot by Simon Maddock for stubborn infections

Back