• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Poor Freya's in the wars again...possible fungal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shellza

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Freya has a round, bald patch on the inside of her back leg. I have tried to take a picture to no avail...the camera just isn't capable of taking good enough quality pictures. I'll try my best to describe it. It's oval-shaped, a bit scaly in places with some raised lumps. From the description I got of guinealynx it does sound like some kind of fungal as I noticed the hairs round the edge looked a bit "waxy". From the description, does it sound like fungal? If so, where can I get Nizoral shampoo? And what other treatments are needed?

Thank you
x

Could also be mites, there is light scurf if they are present, and lesions can appear through scratching. Best to get checked out by a cavy savy vet, ivermectin injections work best on parasites, if it is fungal, and the symptoms can look very similar, they could give you some shampoo to treat it with, I think it is called malasab, but clairelove on the forum could tell you the name for definate.

I don't think it's mites as I haven't seen any of them scratching, and it's not the typical place they would scratch, but then I don't know how she could have got fungal either mallethead. Bless her, she has been in the wars lately.

thats the exact same thing nuzz had... she started with one then by the end of her mite treatment she had lost most of her fur... the sooner shes treated the less servere it will be... i would get her to the vets a.s.a.p.
x

Sorry, but there are other conditions this could be in addition to mites or fungal (hormonal ovarian cysts springs immediately to mind).......i.e. it is not possible to ascertain what the problem might be on the information given.

The best option is to take her to the vet for an inspection/skin scrape/culture to accurately diagnose the cause before you attempt any treatment.

HTH
x

Last edited:
Thanks Pebble. Ovarian cysts did come into my mind too, but as I've never had experience of it I don't really know what to look for. She doesn't have elongated nipples or any of the other symptoms that I know go with it, it's just the baldness on the inner hind leg. I'll get her booked into the vets just to make sure though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back