• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Poor Little Franco Needs A Trim!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chloe Winter

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
We have been getting the boys out for 10mins each day for a sit on our laps.

We were using like wood chippings that came with the awful pets at home cage but that was getting all caught up in franco's ling hair so we switched to shredded paper that was at a local pet store however I don't think it's absorbent enough so I have ordered some pee matts (I cannot sew!) and some vet bed to try. Is this a better idea?

However poor little Franco has a bit f a wet bum. His hair is soggy. I tried to trim it but he kept jumping and turning round- very acrobatic! So I had to stop. Shall I bath him?

We have the vets for a check up and nail trim on the 6th. I can take him before then if needed but thought I would pick your brains first!

Much Love to all the guineas and their people!

x

IMG_3383.JPG

you can give there favorite veg whilst you are clipping the hair,ive ten piggies with long hairbut i do cut there hair short around bum area.i have found fitch bedding very good for longhaired piggies.it is similar to carefresh,but way cheaper.it does not stick to longhaired piggies coats.beautiful piggies.x

you can give there favorite veg whilst you are clipping the hair,ive ten piggies with long hairbut i do cut there hair short around bum area.i have found fitch bedding very good for longhaired piggies.it is similar to carefresh,but way cheaper.it does not stick to longhaired piggies coats.beautiful piggies.x
Ahh Thankyou so much. I am going to try some food whilst giving Franco a trim later. Am thinking little but often. Will look into ditch bedding too. Many thanks x

little and often is a great approach.i bath them when ive finished the trim,as the hair settles better then,my cutting techinique is bad ! fitch bedding ,ive found a website that sell fitch for 12.00 pounds A 20KG bag.thats with delivery.it is called arley moss,something like that .on amazon/fitch site the charge is 22 to 24 pounds with delivery ,just google fitch ,and it will give you details.x

little and often is a great approach.i bath them when ive finished the trim,as the hair settles better then,my cutting techinique is bad ! fitch bedding ,ive found a website that sell fitch for 12.00 pounds A 20KG bag.thats with delivery.it is called arley moss,something like that .on amazon/fitch site the charge is 22 to 24 pounds with delivery ,just google fitch ,and it will give you details.x
Ahh Thankyou for this- really helpful. Xx

Try having somebody else holding them on their arm or lap and distracting them with grass or veg, so their attention is not on the bum.

Otherwise, we recommend hand warm bum baths.
Boar Care: Bits, Bums & Baths
Will give this a go Thankyou! He doesn't seem to bothered bout his soggy bottom at the moment but don't want it to start being a problem for him.

Many thanks x

Will give this a go Thankyou! He doesn't seem to bothered bout his soggy bottom at the moment but don't want it to start being a problem for him.

Many thanks x

I have three kick boxing perus, two of them have arrived in rescue totally matted in a rat cage; they have a real thing about bum cuts. Even after 5 years it can be a struggle on occasion if they are not minded to be cooperative.

Moving out to a room he is not familiar with can also help with cutting down on the worst shenanigans.

I have three kick boxing perus, two of them have arrived in rescue totally matted in a rat cage; they have a real thing about bum cuts. Even after 5 years it can be a struggle on occasion if they are not minded to be cooperative.

Moving out to a room he is not familiar with can also help with cutting down on the worst shenanigans.
Oh poor little things. My cats were matted and very smelly when we adopted them- I am now an expert at giving cat haircuts so hoping I will work out these little guys too! x

We have been getting the boys out for 10mins each day for a sit on our laps.

We were using like wood chippings that came with the awful pets at home cage but that was getting all caught up in franco's ling hair so we switched to shredded paper that was at a local pet store however I don't think it's absorbent enough so I have ordered some pee matts (I cannot sew!) and some vet bed to try. Is this a better idea?

However poor little Franco has a bit f a wet bum. His hair is soggy. I tried to trim it but he kept jumping and turning round- very acrobatic! So I had to stop. Shall I bath him?

We have the vets for a check up and nail trim on the 6th. I can take him before then if needed but thought I would pick your brains first!

Much Love to all the guineas and their people!

x

View attachment 62700
I'm new to the hairy variety and had similar issue, bath and trim, if too stressed to do at once, bath will help.

I've given them a trim this evening and things are a little better so perhaps tomorrow a bath and then Monday I will trim again. As beautiful as they are as hair pigs a soggy bottom is never a good thing! x

I'm having the same problem with Willow, he hates his bum area touched and grumbles and squeals when I brush him. I will need to give him a hair cut when the weather warms up and his bum needs doing now. I had a long hair piggy before and I found it easier to trim him when his hair was damp as it didn't move away from the scissors so much. Also suspect the bath subdued him a bit, cutting his hair was always a 2 person job with one holding and tempting him with food.

I'm having the same problem with Willow, he hates his bum area touched and grumbles and squeals when I brush him. I will need to give him a hair cut when the weather warms up and his bum needs doing now. I had a long hair piggy before and I found it easier to trim him when his hair was damp as it didn't move away from the scissors so much. Also suspect the bath subdued him a bit, cutting his hair was always a 2 person job with one holding and tempting him with food.
Franco literally leaps in the air and turns himself round at the same time. It's incredible.

What sort of brush do you use? We were sold a metal toothed comb but it just pulls.

x

I've got a small brush with soft nobbles on the ends of the bristles, its the sort you can get for small pets in Wilkinsons or the Range. This is like the one I used to use on my other long haired piggy which was a sheltie. I use a metal comb on Willow it is better in his hair which is very soft and crinckley like its been through a crimper! The brush tends to tangle in him.

Oh dear! :cool: I should not be allowed to cut guinea pig hair! Have given poor Franco the most awful hair do! Concerned that Vader is laughing at him! At least he no longer has a soggy bottom! x

I've got a small brush with soft nobbles on the ends of the bristles, its the sort you can get for small pets in Wilkinsons or the Range. This is like the one I used to use on my other long haired piggy which was a sheltie. I use a metal comb on Willow it is better in his hair which is very soft and crinckley like its been through a crimper! The brush tends to tangle in him.

I bought one like this today and it's worked wonders.

Franco has also had a bum bath and things seem a lot better!

x

Will have to get a brush with soft nobbles on for Betsey she is a Sheltie and complains like mad with the metal comb. Its safe to say that Betsy and the comb are not best friends! In fact they aren't friends at all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back