• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Poor Oreo

So sorry you lost Oreo and the awful year you have had x
Sleep tight little man 🌈

I've been thinking about you since yesterday... it was an awful thing that happened on top of so many other awful things and I really felt for you. I had to syringe my poor Ivy this year to try and give her a chance and she also aspirated food and got a URI. She got over it with treatment but whatever was causing her swallowing issues just got worse and in the end she was pts. Even though she was ready to go by that time I still get upset thinking about my lovely vet carrying her inside in the box with her fluffy hair poking through the vents. It is so hard to say goodbye. I really hope you are coming to terms with things today. Be kind to yourself 💕
free Ranger, I'm sorry for your loss!

Just been to the vets with another guinea pig who has gone lame, and they think it may be bone cancer! bearing in mind he also has a slight cold, so hasn't been eating and drinking as much as usual, so has lost a little weight, he is on antibiotics. They also mentioned it could be severe arthritis or a possible break or fracture, they said if it is bone cancer it is aggressive, and I could either treat with pain killers and see if he improves, or have him pts this evening! I opted for pain killers, as to me the above is vague without x-ray, he hasn't been particularly well this year at times, so going under anaesthesia is a big risk, I am interested in what people think about this? I have felt his leg, and personally cannot find any obvious swellings, or nodules (But obviously I am not a vet), I have checked another guinea pig, to see if there is a difference, and can't find anything out of the ordinary. They said different, 2 vets did take a look, because one of the vets wasn't sure at all. We have a follow up appointment next weds to see whether or not he has improved, or worsened (lost more weight)

I can’t offer advice but did want to assure you that I am holding you in my thoughts.

Aw, so sorry for this sad news, but I think I would ask the vet why they have come to this conclusion and what evidence they have to make this diagnosis without further investigation x

Okay I've had enough now, Frodo had to be put to sleep on monday as he deteriorated so very quickly, was def bone cancer, in just 4 days it had spread right across his hips, and possibly his ribs.. Am treating 3 gps with antibiotics currently, and have also been treating Shadow whom we are going to lose tonight I think, he was rapidly losing weight and fur for no obvious reasons, his poos were reasonably normal, and he was drinking as normal! so dont truly understand the severe weight loss, either way he looked real poorly this morning, so bought him inside to keep an eye on him! when I got home this evening he was in a real bad way! his lungs sounded terrible, and he was coughing up loads of fluid, I lost his mum and aunty like this a few years ago, and now know he is likely to have conjestive heart failure. He has been dying since 9pm, and at one point lost conciousness for about half hour, though he was still breathing, and his heart was beating. He has literally just come around, and is trying to move around, he was on his side, but is now upright again, not really sure what has just happened! last week. treated him for mites also. Has this ever happened to anybody else? we had a baby piggy do this last year (well the dying for hours, then coming around, and she is in really good health now.) again dont exactly know what happened.

spoke too soon he's flopped over again! sadly no vets local to me at this time of night, and I am a single parent who dosnt drive, and local taxi company finishes at 10pm. tomorrow morning if he is still with us, will get him pts, at the moment am just hugging him, and telling him i love him.

I'm really sorry for all your losses.you have had a tough year.have you PDSA vet near you ?they maybe able to help with the finacial side of care.you are doing everything you can.sending healing thoughts at this sad time.xx

i can afford the treatment!, just no emergency vets close by, and public transport is not great at night. I have spent around £3000 on vet bills this year for my small furries. 9 g.p.s, 1 rabbit, and 2 human losses in 1 year! I hate how much weight the ill ones lost despite my 3 hourly intertventions night and day! I have bought around so many of mine in the past, but this year something extremely nasty invaded my herd, which antibiotics would not touch, I'm convinced its something to do with the corona-virus, especially knowing how much it attacked my piggies lungs, and hearts.

Sending you hugs! I'm sorry you lost him, poor little piggie, you did all you could for him. I'm sorry for all your other sad losses this year too. Sometimes life just seems so unfair 😟 I hope the new year brings better things for you. x
Popcorn free over Rainbow Bridge, Shadow 🌈 🙏

Thankyou for your kind thoughts.
The vets said, I have just been extremely unlucky this year! problem is next year likely to be a bad one as well as have a number of 5 and a half - 7.5 year olds.

just want this year gone!

What a series of awful blows. Older age doesn't help - things which younger pigs don't even notice can get a grip in older pigs just like in people, and like you saw there is often a genetic element so related pigs might die of similar things... even if those things are unusual. There's no evidence that pigs get Covid but of course the world is full of viruses and these are not affected by antibiotics. None of this really helps you I know - I'm just so sorry and admire so much all you've done for your animals in such challenging circumstances. I don't know where you've found the strength. Your kids must be so proud of you ❤

Sending you big hugs, what an awful year you have had. I’m so sorry for your losses x

So sorry for your loss.
What an awful year you’ve had.
Holding you in my heart as you grieve for Shadow

Back