• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement
  • You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Poorley piggie in pets at home

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went into my local pets at home today and in one of the cages was a small Guinea Pig on its own all fluffed up and scratching. as i looked closely i noticed that its eyes were really closed up and small, i even questioned if it even had an eye on one side, as it was scratching with its leg it was falling over as if it was loosing its balance, i went to find one of the assistants and asked her to get the piggie out, i said he looked poorley and as she brought him close, his little eyes were like slits and they was crusted weeping stuff all over his face. She removed him and said she would put him out the back. i asked what would happen to him and she said he will go to the vets tomorrow and be kept out the back until he gets better then will be sold. Do places like this usually take them to the vets? i couldnt help thinking that he will be just left there alone and poorley out the back. :(

Deadgirl

I know they do take them to the vet but the one i got my joshua from took 5 days to take him to the vet i had to keep phoneing them up grrrr.

i would phone them up tomorrow and see how he is doing

RabbitFan

Junior Guinea Pig
I would definitely phone up or go back in tomorrow and find out if he's been seen. I would just keep badgering them to keep them in their toes and make sure they look after him.
Well done for looking out for the little feller.

sandra turpin

Adult Guinea Pig
We were in our Pets at Home today, there were two 4mth old boars, Bubble and Squeak, in the adoption centre. It said on the front that they were too old to be sold in the shop. They were popcorning away like mad lol and looked really healthy. We were talking to one of the girls who works there who looks after our pets when we are away. She says that any new starts get rigorously trained before they are allowed to sell any animals. She also said they were subject to health checks at any time to ensure that the animals were being well cared for.

Lets hope the piggy gets checked by the vet tomorrow.

sport_billy

Administrator
Staff member
I know a friend of mine who used to work in a pet store (but not pets at home) made regular trips to the vets with poorly animals from the store. Hope this reassures.

AgentF

Adult Guinea Pig
Sounds like conjuctivitis to me little piggy will need eye drops from the vet.

We saw a baby piggy with mites at our local p@h they took him out back we kept phoning they said they were treating oh went in and asked to see him, he looked even worse they then told him he was going to vet that day (about 3 days after we had told them of problem)

We kept phoning and eventually after about a week they told us he was cured and would be on the shop floor Saturday.

We went back the Friday to make sure he was ok he still had little patches where the fur needed to grow, we couldnt leave him there so he came home with us.

We have not shopped at p@h since

They will treat the piggy just keep the pressure on them

I agree put pressue on them.

I used to work in P@H and used to have to ask for days and days if I could take pooly animals to the vets. Normally they were just pts :(

I really do hope their training has improved since I was there because it was really awful before.

As for the "health checks" they give that is only given by regular members of staff like I was and although I loved animals I am no vet! Also health checking the animals on the arrival into the store was one of the most distressing things I ever had to do....the way they are transported for what can be a whole days is horrendous and if when you "health check" the animal and it doesn't meet the standards such as sticky eye it goes back in the horrible box it came in and does the hours of travel again only to be pts.

I wish I never worked in p@h I refuse to even shop their now and it is still distressing thinking about what I saw and things I was told to (which I didn't do). The managers I worked with didn't even like animals it was all about the money.

Anyway rant over. I hope they do get that piggie seen to :(

I went back to pets at home today and chatted to a very nice member of staff who told me that the piggie got took to the vets and has a severe eye infection which has actually gone into his eye, he is being treated with antibiotics and pain killers.
I asked her about the shop taking them to the vets if there ill, she told me they do take them and if they feel they will make a full recovery then they get treated, she said they once paid out £400 for a sick rabbit in the adoption centre.
I will go back in a few days to see how hes doing, i just want to cuddle him and love him
so hes not in pain alone out the back of pets at home, i hope its warm out there.

I went back to pets at home today and chatted to a very nice member of staff who told me that the piggie got took to the vets and has a severe eye infection which has actually gone into his eye, he is being treated with antibiotics and pain killers.
I asked her about the shop taking them to the vets if there ill, she told me they do take them and if they feel they will make a full recovery then they get treated, she said they once paid out £400 for a sick rabbit in the adoption centre.
I will go back in a few days to see how hes doing, i just want to cuddle him and love him
so hes not in pain alone out the back of pets at home, i hope its warm out there.

double post gone on again?

Last edited:

doglovinpiggylover

Senior Guinea Pig
well done to you for spotting it, poor love x

wannabepiggymum

Junior Guinea Pig
i actually work in a vets that services our local P@H and i can honestly say we see them almost daily with animals, even ones which are in their adoption centre (which they make NO money from) !
They spend hundreds of pounds on making animals healthy, to then sell them for £20. And euthanasia is always the last road they want to go down.
I know they get a lot of flak on here - but not all the staff are heartless. :)

sharonS

Adult Guinea Pig
i actually work in a vets that services our local P@H and i can honestly say we see them almost daily with animals, even ones which are in their adoption centre (which they make NO money from) !
They spend hundreds of pounds on making animals healthy, to then sell them for £20. And euthanasia is always the last road they want to go down.
That is reasuring to know.

XXTaniaXX

Yep they do at my local one , i got my rabbit from there he was about to go vets but i took him , they only let me have him cos they knew i would take him . Cost a small fortune he did lol .

Status
Not open for further replies.