• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Poorly Boy. Can Anyone Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curtis Cavies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Just gone out to find my boy, Gregor in the bedroom of his two storey hutch all laid out flat. Hay top up and last nights supper hardly touched, though he seemed his usual self last night. Seems to be 'heaving', similar to hiccups but spasmodic and very lethargic, not propping his own weight up but fully lolled out on my hands. Have listened to both sides of his chest for lungs and they sound ok. I've brought him in and wrapped him in a warm fluffy towel. Have given him 0.5ml of baytril and 0.5ml nurofen as I have no Meacham. Have tried to get some cc in him but he is refusing. He is making a very sorry little sound on his breathing out and doesn't want stroking, shoving his head up violently or moving away from his sides stroking as if its irritating or causing discomfort. Can this be poisoning, have I maybe not washed his vet well enough last night. Gregor loves carrot more than anything else, he always eats the root not the top and hardly touches caulk leaves etc. He is quite fond of toms and cucumber and Satsuma's and he usually eats his salad bag varieties and curly kale. Hates celery and pepper. Anyone advise please?
Also noticed my albino girl, Rena, looks very pale and fluffed up as well. Try are not in same cage together, but they all lived a purposefully purchased and insulated 12x8ft shed, so warm and dry. Have also given Rena 0.5ml baytril. Haven't wieghed either just at moment, but will before administering any more meds.
Gregor's eyes seem to be watering but he seems a little more settled on my lap now and the disturbing 'hurry' noise he was making seems to have gone several tones lower to just a mumble with an occasional 'urrrghmph', like we would do with a tummy ache.
Anyone able to offer help/advice?
I know a vet is needed but suggestions to make him comfy to travel to one, its a long journey to a cavy savvy vet for me.

Just gone out to find my boy, Gregor in the bedroom of his two storey hutch all laid out flat. Hay top up and last nights supper hardly touched, though he seemed his usual self last night. Seems to be 'heaving', similar to hiccups but spasmodic and very lethargic, not propping his own weight up but fully lolled out on my hands. Have listened to both sides of his chest for lungs and they sound ok. I've brought him in and wrapped him in a warm fluffy towel. Have given him 0.5ml of baytril and 0.5ml nurofen as I have no Meacham. Have tried to get some cc in him but he is refusing. He is making a very sorry little sound on his breathing out and doesn't want stroking, shoving his head up violently or moving away from his sides stroking as if its irritating or causing discomfort. Can this be poisoning, have I maybe not washed his vet well enough last night. Gregor loves carrot more than anything else, he always eats the root not the top and hardly touches caulk leaves etc. He is quite fond of toms and cucumber and Satsuma's and he usually eats his salad bag varieties and curly kale. Hates celery and pepper. Anyone advise please?
Also noticed my albino girl, Rena, looks very pale and fluffed up as well. Try are not in same cage together, but they all lived a purposefully purchased and insulated 12x8ft shed, so warm and dry. Have also given Rena 0.5ml baytril. Haven't wieghed either just at moment, but will before administering any more meds.
Gregor's eyes seem to be watering but he seems a little more settled on my lap now and the disturbing 'hurry' noise he was making seems to have gone several tones lower to just a mumble with an occasional 'urrrghmph', like we would do with a tummy ache.
Anyone able to offer help/advice?
I know a vet is needed but suggestions to make him comfy to travel to one, its a long journey to a cavy savvy vet for me.

Good that you are getting them seen asap. Diaphragmic heaving breathing can be a sign of acute heart failure, not just of poisoning; it is up to your vet to see what is going on. Please keep Gregor comfy and warm and make sure that his upper body is slightly higher than his lower body to help ease the strain on his heart. Take all piggies.

here are tips for the trip: https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/travelling-with-guinea-pigs.109071/

Please take some hand feed, cucumber, ripped fresh grass or other watery veg for the trip and the time at the vets to keep the piggies going, especially if they are off their food.

I am keeping my fingers firmly crossed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back