• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Poorly Boys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leah Jacques

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm really worried about my piggies. They are both loosing weight, off their food and prefer to eat their pellets when they are dampened down and soft. They are both not as active as they were and often sitting still a lot meaning they end up sitting in their own urine. I've been to the vets as I thought it was their teeth. They were next to useless, gave me anto biotics for them and they seemed to pick up again but not a week after they have both lost another 100g each. I'm really unsure what to do. The vets we went to were useless and don't know where to go or do to help them.

Leah.

Hi, I think you need to try and find a better vet in your area urgently as it sounds like they are very poorly indeed. Have a look at the vet locator at the top of the page & see if there is one near to you. If not, I'm sure someone on here will be able to help.

We are in the West Midlands, on the outskirts of birmingham.
Never heard of cavy savy locator.

Leah x

We are giving them a vitamin supplement for piggies and trying to hand feed but they're very anxious.

Leah x

Probably because its the two of them its more likely to be something infectious rather than a dental problem, but they really need a good guinea pig savvy vet to investigate the cause. Guinea pigs stop eating due to anything making them feel unwell or in pain. Use our vet locator (link provided in post above) and book your boys in tomorrow for a proper check to see what might be going on. Good luck :)

They are eating their dampened food at the moment. Going to take them to a vets from the list tomorrow.

Thank you everyone for your help.

I just feel so useless.

Leah x

Keep us updated! Hopefully its nothing too bad and easily treated. We always feel a bit useless when they are poorly but even by asking and getting them a good vet promptly you're doing a great job :D

Thank you. Scruffy has not stopped munching yet so hopefully that's a good start.

Leah x

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 2
Thats great! He must be feeling better :) make sure both get checked out though, could just be a minor bug upsetting their tums or something, but the vet will be able to say whether they need any medication. Cute piggy!

Well the vet we saw was lovely. She seemed to care. She held the boys, snuggled the boys and even talked to them. She gave them a complete all over. So different to the other waste of space vets. She said their cheek teeth are slightly slanted. Causing rough edges. Scruffy worse than onions. She said they need to eat more hay. And could we separate them to see how much water they are actually drinking each to rule out other things such as diabetes. We know they're drinking a lot but not sure how much each of drinking. She's given us some pain relief for them to try and help them eat. They may need to go under anaesthetic to sort their teeth out but the main concern for now is encourage them to eat their roughage. Fingers crossed it works.
Thanks everyone for your help.

Leah x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back