• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Poorly Eye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gemma Wadd 11

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have just noticed that one of my guinea pigs has a poorly eye. It looks like he has some how ripped his lower eye lid and not sure how this has happened. It's not bleeding or have any coloured discharge but I'm so worried. I have bathed with cool water but wondered if anyone had any advice. I have added a photo in case that helps. Many thanks

Attachments

• 20150509_190259.jpg
    20150509_190259.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 18
That looks really sore bless him. He really needs to see a vet as he is likely to need pain relief.

Please could you update your location as it will help us to help you.

hi there, welcome to the forum :)

Oh dear like helen says, that looks painful! i would definitely try ringing the vets & get them to check him over, looks like you might be lucky & the eye isnt actually injured only the skin around it.
Please ask the vet to organise some painkiller (metacam), pain often causes guineas to stop eating or cause a reduction in appetite which then becomes a whole new ball game of problems :(
if you ring for your usual vet, they should give you out of hrs/emergency vet details. bathing with boiled, cooled water is a good idea, even if you put a tiny pinch of salt in it, this will help clean the wound (not too much, only the tiniest of pinches or it will sting horribly).
they may give you an antibiotic to prevent any infection in the open wound.

Do you keep him in a cage or hutch? maybe a sharp bit of mesh/ hay rack damaged has come away & caught him in the face, does he share with another guinea? have you noticed them fighting at all? might be worth checking.

if you are from the uk there is a handy recommended vets locator that you can use if you dont have him registered under a vet or your vet isnt cavy savvy

Healing vibes to piggy, whats his name?

keep us updated.

speedy recovery from the girls & i. xx

Hi and welcome!

Please see a vet; that looks sore! It can be an injury or the beginning of a fungal infection. :(

As we have members from all over the world, it is important for us to be able to help you most effectively if you please added your country, state or (for the UK) your county to your details. Click on your username on the top bar, then go to personal details and scroll down to location. Thanks!

We have got a piggy savvy Uk vet locator on the top bar, but can provide links for recommended vets in other countries. You can usually find out-of-hours vet care - if available - via a vet's answering machine.

Thanks so much for all your help. We love in Leicester so will get onto looking for a vet ASAP. My initial reaction was we need to see a vet but these are our first guinea pigs so great to have a second opinion. This little chaps name is Dale and he lives with his brother Chip. We have never witnessed any fighting and there has never been any other signs of fighting etc. They do however like to sit on each other so wonder if it could have been done by Chip trying to sit on Dale. Will let you know how we get on :)

Just to let you all know that we took Dale to the vets today and the poor thing has an abscess on his eye and ingrowing eyelashes which he has been scratching
This is probably how his eye lid became torn. He has some a ointment for now and is booked in for a little operation to put right the damage on Wednesday. Thanks so much for all your help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back