• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Poorly pig

Teddy and Tony

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi I have school guinea pigs one boar has been poorly and not pooping properly so took to vets they said to change his diet which I've done now more cabbage and different types of hay, this morning when I got up he has a cloudy watery eye, have booked to see the vets, but the other boar guinea pig is picking on him is this normal and should I separate them.

Please don’t increase the amount of cabbage you give him. If he’s not pooping it means he’s not been eating enough hay. Poo output is 1-2 days behind. Is he pooping less or his poos are soft and/or have a pointy end? You will need to start weighing him daily at the same time to see whether he’s maintaining or losing. You’ll also have to step in with syringe feeding if he’s not eating hay for himself (losing weight).

Eyes can be seen by a general vet as treatment is the same for all animals. I would suggest you find another vet as the one who said to change his diet isn’t correct.

How is the other boar picking on him - what exactly is he doing? How big is their cage and how old are they? It’s usually best not to separate as that can cause stress. But the advice will depend on your answer.

Not Eating, Weight Loss And The Importance Of Syringe Feeding Fibre
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide
Vet Locator

:agr: you need to syringe feed a piggy who isn’t eating properly. You must also weigh him daily to ensure you are getting the right amount of syringe feed into him to stop weight loss.
Cabbage in large quantities can cause bloat (which can be fatal) so don’t increase the amount of cabbage you give.

When one is poorly it can cause a hierarchy shift.

He is eating fine 2 different hays, pellets, kale. His poop was very dry one moment and very soft and sticking to his bottom another and getting stuck inside him, vet said he could be dehydrated and give high fibre and greens.
The other pig is teeth chattering, raising himself up against the poorly one chasing him and trying to bite him and taking food away from him, have brought them inside and made a run about 2ft by 5ft with loads of hides and toys and chews.

If his poo is soft then stop the veg for now. Only give pellets (one tablespoon) and hay. Scatter feed the pellets so the other piggy can’t hog.

Who was the dominant pig and how is the ill pig reacting to being chased and (what I think is) nipped?

You need to weigh him daily at the same time because you can’t judge hay intake (or weight) by eye. If he’s continually losing weight then you will have to step in and syringe feed.

Once he’s back to eating veg then give coriander (1-2 sprigs), cucumber and bell pepper (any colour) daily as staples. Kale is too high in calcium to be fed more than once a week.

Last edited:
The poorly pig was the dominant one he chatters his teeth a runs a hides now

The poorly pig was the dominant one he chatters his teeth a runs a hides now

PLEASE have your poorly boy vet checked as an emergency, take him off any fresh food and step in support feeding fibre (mushed up pellets will do in a pinch) asap.

Your boy is not eating properly, especially not enough hay, which should make around 80% of the daily food intake and cannot be judged by eye, only by weighing on the kitchen scales. Any eye problems count as an emergency as they can deteriorate very quickly. The behaviour makes it clear that your poorly boy is seriously ill and has been obviously seen by a vet with not the first clue about guinea pigs.

Here is our comprehensive emergency and crisis care resources and practical tips collection. Read it after you have booked an appointment. I am keeping my fingers very firmly crossed that he can be saved.
Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment
Not Eating, Weight Loss And The Importance Of Syringe Feeding Fibre

He is eating the pellets and hay and has eaten a carrot and grass today, he's put weight on since monday, and his eye is a abscess or a scratch so have eye drops, unfortunately they have found a lump in his intestine but he is not in pain and he's still eating so need to keep an eye on him.thank you for your help fingers are crossed.

He is eating the pellets and hay and has eaten a carrot and grass today, he's put weight on since monday, and his eye is a abscess or a scratch so have eye drops, unfortunately they have found a lump in his intestine but he is not in pain and he's still eating so need to keep an eye on him.thank you for your help fingers are crossed.

If possible, please try to get some plain artificial tear gel (drops will do if they haven't got a gel but they are not as long lasting and less easy to apply). This will help with the hydration of the eye and support the healing process. My own vet prescribes the gel now as a matter of routine with any eye injury or infection (ulceration) of the eye and I have to agree with her - it does really boost the healing process in my own several experiences since I have started doing it. You need to wait at least half an hour after the antibiotic eye drops before you apply the gel.

I am very sorry; inoperable internal lumps are never the news you want to hear.
Please make sure that your boy is getting more hay fibre in his diet. Too much root veg and fresh food can upset the digestive system (dysbiosis, funny poos/diarrhea or bloating); the hay is also vital in keeping the crucial back teeth ground down - their fast growth rate has after all evolved against a mainstay diet of grass and hay (which are actually high in enough in vitamin C that guinea pigs never had the need to make their own in the first place). when you look at pellet ingredients, you will likely be shocked as to how little fibre there is actually in them compared to filler products. Guinea pig actually run their food twice through the gut; the redigested poos (caecotrophs) are usually picked up straight at source; they contain the not yet broken down grass/high fibre which is highly nutritious. ;)

You may find this link here helpful when the lump is starting to impact more and you are coming up to the time when care is a constant up and down and you have to constantly reassess the situation. It is talking you through all the aspects to help you having an easier time of it. It is worth bookmarking together with the crisis care link so you have everything handy whenever you need it. Crises have a very bad habit of happening at the worst possible times. ;)
A Practical and Sensitive Guide to Dying, Terminal Illness and Euthanasia in Guinea Pigs

Unfortunately had to have teddy bear put to sleep today eye had got worse and the lump found in his intestine had got bigger, can other boar be ok without his friend have put teddy's body in cage so he knows he's gone any advice would be good.

Attachments

• IMG_20210102_221038551_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210102_221038551_HDR.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 5
I’m sorry for your loss. You did the very best for him and that is something to be proud of. I’ll link the guide for bereaved piggies below. Some are okay quickly while others grieve for a bit longer. He will need to be found a new friend but time depends partly on him and the current circumstances.

Wishing you and the one left behind all the best 💕
Looking After A Bereaved Guinea Pig

Unfortunately had to have teddy bear put to sleep today eye had got worse and the lump found in his intestine had got bigger, can other boar be ok without his friend have put teddy's body in cage so he knows he's gone any advice would be good.

HUGS

I am ever so sorry that you had to make the decision sooner than you were likely expecting. But you have done the right thing and saved Teddy from a slow, painful death. Sometimes, this is the most precious and loving gift we can make a beloved pet; as heart-breaking as the decision is for ourselves.

Unless Tony stops eating and drinking and faces the wall, he will hold until lockdown conditions are hopefully easing gradually and adoption is becoming possible again. Bereaved piggies are generally prioritised on rescue waiting lists.

Here is our recommended good welfare standards locator. You may want to contact all rescues within your reach. A growing number of rescues will also consider companionship solutions for bereaved single guinea pigs whose doesn't want to continue after the death of their last guinea pig. Rescue Locator

More information on what you can do for a bereaved and single piggy in the meantime:
Looking After A Bereaved Guinea Pig
Single Guinea Pigs - Challenges and Responsibilities (includes specific aspects an challenges with bereaved singles)
Moody guinea pigs: Depression, Bullying, Aggression, Stress, Fear and Antisocial Behaviour

Back