• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Poorly piggy a week after neuter - any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

becky86

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Our little foster piggy, Freddie, was neutered a week ago today. He was fine after the neuter, eating, drinking, pooing normally. Freddie is normally a very outgoing little piggy. He lives indoors and is in the lounge, so hes generally up the bars 'talking' to us. Hes a very nosey little lad.

So this is where the problem starts :( Sunday evening my mum went to bed and he was fine. When mum got up Monday morning she came into the lounge and normally Freddie would be up the bars of the cage but he was just sat there in his cuddle cup, lethargic. She picked him up and he was shivering and appeared to be gasping when breathing and also tooth grinding. We took him straight to the vets and the vet said it was 50/50 chance of him surviving but he couldnt say what was wrong. Freddie had a very high temp too. He was given injections of Baytril, Metaclop and Metacam and we were told to bring him back today if no better.

We have been syringe feeding him every 2 hours since yesterday morning, he takes the recovery food well from the syringe and seems to perk up afterwards. Today hes started drinking water by himself and hes drinking an awful lot. Hes eating herbs by himself but nothing else. Hes lying in his litter tray now on his side and still is far from normal. He didnt poo all day yesterday but he has now started pooing.

We have a vets appointment at 4.10pm today. I'm just so worried about him - does anyone have any ideas? I'm worried he may have infection internally from the neuter? The wound site did feel 'warm' yesterday but hes fine with us touching it.

Becky x

awww hon i dont know sorry, but i just wanted to say i hope the little fella picks up soon.

The only thing i would suggest, is phoning the vet and say you are really worried about him and could you bring the appointment forward?

x>>

So sorry your little pig is poorly. I can't really offer any advice only if you can add some pro biotics to his diet, it may help as all the meds could have upset his tummy which will just be adding to his problems. Hope the vet can help him later. x

I would def consider a probiotic as all the meds could be upsetting his guts
Hope hes okay xx

Thanks all. After i wrote this message on here i called the vets and we took Freddie straight there. He was admitted :( His temp was 106.2, which is apparently very high for a piggy. The vet doesnt think its anything to do with his neuter, he thinks hes got an infection internally somewhere.

Ive just called to see how Freddie is doing and hes 'stable' :... Lets just hope he starts to improve as the outlook isnt great. Hes a little fighter to have come this far though. Paws crossed xx

Poor guy! I'm keeping him in my thoughts and hoping he makes a full recovery!

I am keeping my fingers firmly crossed for Freddie; occasionally internal infections can happen after an operation. Sadly, they are not easy to get on top of.

Poor Freddie. I have a boy called Fred who was neutered 3 weeks ago. He got an abscess as a reaction to the stitches and is still not better, so i can understand how worried you are. Poor little boy. I hope he gets better. xx

Thank you for all your kind messages. We've had a previous foster piggy who was really poorly after his neuter but the signs showed almost straight away, whereas Freddie has been fine all week. The vet said when they operate they dont go inside like they do a female, but of course infection can still sometimes get in, as we all know :{

I've called the vets this morning and they have said Freddie has eaten some apple by himself overnight and has eaten a few pellets. They said he appears to be a little brighter and his temperature has come down to almost normal. We have to call again between 4-5pm :...

Its so stressful when theyre poorly, hes a lovely little piggy, paws crossed for the day! xx

Just to let you all know Freddie is still at the vets 8... I'm so worried about this little man and he isnt even mine :( Freddie was meant to be coming home tomorrow but his temp has rose again today to 105 8... Poor little lamb xx

I'm really sorry to hear Freddie is so poorly after his neutering op. I hope he is recovering......and I appreciate you want to do everything you can to help your little man.

I have some suggestions....but I also have some queries regarding his diagnosis/condition/treatment which I dont think is wise to put on a public forum at this time. No worries...butb just wanting to be extra cautious.....

Whereabouts are you? Can we talk over PM please?

x

I'm really sorry to hear Freddie is so poorly after his neutering op. I hope he is recovering......and I appreciate you want to do everything you can to help your little man.

I have some suggestions....but I also have some queries regarding his diagnosis/condition/treatment which I dont think is wise to put on a public forum at this time. No worries...butb just wanting to be extra cautious.....

Whereabouts are you? Can we talk over PM please?

x

I've sent you a PM :)

Freddie is home now, hes had a nibble on some red lettuce and hes been wandering around his cage. I know they gave him 2 injections this morning so i think time will tell if anything is going to go wrong :...

Hi becky

How did Freddie get on today?

Thinking of you both
x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back