• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Poorly piggy after accident

Piggymumof4

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Ok first time posting here please no judgement as my son and myself are broken at this.
Son is 12 and accidentally stood on guinea pig, iv called emergency vet to take her tomorrow but looking for help or anything tonight as I can’t loose her, and it would tear my son up as he is blaming him self and won’t stop crying, he stood on her by mistake, now she is eating drinking, pooping, and walks fine, but her breathing is fast at first was rattling but now it’s wuiey but fast, she is very quiet usually she runs around mad she is our crazy pig. Iv got metacam so gave her that already but terrier she is going to pass does it sound likely, I have 3 other piggies and one of them is pregnant we haven’t lost any pigs yet anyone help with info

Bill & Ted

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
So sorry to hear this, accidents do happen and your son is not to blame x Can you try and get your piggie seen sooner than tomorrow if her breathing has changed from the norm? Some vets do have out of hours emergency appointments overnight. Hope she recovers soon x Let’s us all know how you got on x

I am tagging a very experienced member @Wiebke

Piggymumof4

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have but I can only get advise over the phone as I have kids at home and I’m just myself, she is going in the morning though, I was told to just keep her comfortable but really hoping she makes it thank you

Patch89

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I have but I can only get advise over the phone as I have kids at home and I’m just myself, she is going in the morning though, I was told to just keep her comfortable but really hoping she makes it thank you
Will be thinking of you, your son and piggie. Please let us know how you get on. Hugs.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok first time posting here please no judgement as my son and myself are broken at this.
Son is 12 and accidentally stood on guinea pig, iv called emergency vet to take her tomorrow but looking for help or anything tonight as I can’t loose her, and it would tear my son up as he is blaming him self and won’t stop crying, he stood on her by mistake, now she is eating drinking, pooping, and walks fine, but her breathing is fast at first was rattling but now it’s wuiey but fast, she is very quiet usually she runs around mad she is our crazy pig. Iv got metacam so gave her that already but terrier she is going to pass does it sound likely, I have 3 other piggies and one of them is pregnant we haven’t lost any pigs yet anyone help with info
Hi and welcome!

I am sorry that it is under such traumatic circumstances! Freak accidents sadly happen; they are freak because they catch you out from an angle you do not anticipate. It is hard not to feel guilty, but as long as you haven't done any harm intentionally, then it is just one of these awful things that can happen because they are not foreseeable and therefore not preventable.
Human Bereavement - Grieving, coping tips and support links for guinea pig owners and their children (it also deals with the guilt issue)

Please have her seen by an out-of-hours vet as an emergency if at all possible. Guinea pigs are small animals, which means that they can suffer internal injuries quite easily. It sounds like this could be the case here. :(

You can find out of hours services in your area via your regular vet's answering machine or by googling for your area.
Please do not wait until tomorrow morning if at all possible; it may be to late!

I hope that the information in this guide here will help you:
Emergency and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment

Fingers very firmly crossed for your poorly piggy!

Piggymumof4

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hey thanks for everyone’s help, my lil lady had xrays no internal bleeding or broken bones or injuries, he thinks she was in shock as is breathing Normal and eating and iv put her in the cage now for breakfast with her buddy and she is fine, still going to keeping a close eye

Molly3827

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Hey thanks for everyone’s help, my lil lady had xrays no internal bleeding or broken bones or injuries, he thinks she was in shock as is breathing Normal and eating and iv put her in the cage now for breakfast with her buddy and she is fine, still going to keeping a close eye
Thats great news!! 😀
I’m glad she’s feeling better, I wish her a speedy recovery. I hope you and son are doing okay too.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
That is wonderful news! All the best!