• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

poorly piggy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi all

I'm new to the forum. Have taken one of my GPs (Eric) to the vet today and been told he is very poorly with a chest infection. He was given 2 injections (I didn't ask what they were but was told one was for pain relief) we've got some cirtical care to syringe feed him and going back again tomorrow for more injections.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I lost my first guinea pig following his castration operation and my daughter will be devastated (as will I) if anything happens to Eric. We have separated him from his pal who isn't displaying any symptoms.

Lisa

Poor Eric, I hope he is feeling much better soon.

Thanks guys. Am very worried. Vet likened it to pneumonia and says he is critical.

Hi sorry that Eric is so poorly. Make sure he is warm with plenty of hay and no drafts (preferably indoors). I'd put his friend back in with him to be honest - they find comfort in each other and sometimes it's hard to reintroduce boys when they've spent a bit of time apart. Make sure that Eric's living quarters are dry too so clean the hutch out every day while he's ill. The injection was probably antibiotic, it may be a good idea to get hold of some probiotic from the vet and give him that if the injection was an antibiotic as it can upset their gut flora which will give him more problems.
Keeping fingers crossed that Eric feels better tomorrow.
Alyson x

Thanks Alyson. They are indoor pigs, but the cage is probably in the coldest spot in the house. I've kept them separate for tonight, have Eric in a cat carrier with a heat pad in the children's room so that I can keep an eye on him thru the night and see at a glance if he's eating or drinking anything. Struggling a little with syringe feeding, our first attempt went really well but our second try failed dismally - I'm wondering if the pain killer has worn off and he's struggling? I've put hay and a small bowl of food in as well as a water bottle.

Thanks for the tip on probiotics. How would I give this to him? When he has his next round of injections tomorrow I'll ask what he's being given. I was a little stunned and comforting my daughter so neglected to ask. My first GP, Darcy, died following an injection of pain killer after he was neutered, so all injections on pigs make me very nervous.

I was given probiotics when one of my inside piggies was on antibiotics a couple of months ago, it was called Avipro plus and was just added to water. It seemed to work as my guinea pig was very ill and I didn't think she would make it. She had been on two lots of antibiotics and lost a lot of weight but the vet extended her last lot of baytril to a month and she survived thankfully.

Hi ericandernie

I'm really sorry to hear eric is so poorly....well done for trying to syringe feed him. It can be a nightmare....and quite difficult..and quite distressing....but you will have to perservere. So please keep trying (hugs)

Laura has leaflet on syringe feeding...might be a good idea to text or email her so she can send it to you:

07811 806187
[email protected]

http://guineapighelpline.com/phone.html

If you still feel he is not co-operating...please tell us where you are. The weather has lifted somewhat and it may be that we can find someone in your area to come and give you a hand.

Healing vibes for him from down here in Sussex
x

We took our Amber to the vet yesterday too, she's also got a chest infection, but it's not pneumonia. Our vet told us to put our guys back together. In my experience in nursing poorly pigs (which is quite a bit bearing in mind only had them 18 months :-() they are MUCH happier together. Your other chap would already have been exposed to the cause, so they'll probably both be happier together, and you haven't anything to gain thus by keeping them apart.
We are syringe feeding Amber, to support her feeding, as she is eating a tad. The vet said to tempt her with her faves, mine always love cucumber, and Amber has been munching on that. Make sure he has loads and loads of hay, as I've found when they're ill that's the one item they may pick to munch on. And when our boy was really really ill (he chewed his toes off, a long story!) he would only eat grass. Having said that when he was ill recently he wouldn't eat even that, which is where the syringe feeding comes in. You could pick some grass and rinse it, but make sure it's not too cold!
Would the surgery let you leave your guy there if you are struggling? I left Osc when I was at work a couple of weeks ago, very reassuring to know he was in good hands.
Sounds like your vet is pretty good.
Good luck from one poorly piggle to another. Paws crossed.....
Keep us updated! Sending Big Love X x

Sorry to say that Eric passed away on my knee this morning at 7. I'd syringe fed him at 3.30 ad he seemed quite bright but very poorly. He was moving around the pet carrier and nibbling on some pellets and had a little nibble of a carrot I fed him in the night.

My daughter and I got up to feed him this morning at 7 and he was not responding. He didn't open his mouth or attempt to swallow the syringe food. He sat quietly on my knee for a while and then sadly didn't pull through.

I'm very worried about his friend, Ernie. He's been with Eric since they were babies. Should I take him to the vet too have him fully checked over in case I'm missing any signs? He is eating fine, just taken a carrot off me and is munching on some hay. Worried how he'll get on without his pal :(

Oh dear :(

So sorry to hear that Eric didn't pull through.
Sending you big hugs.
Popcorn free Eric.

oh no I'm so sorry to hear that poor Eric lost the battle. You must be very upset. Run free little man x
As for Ernie it's a good idea to show him Eric, if it isn't too upsetting for you. Somehow they seem to get over the death better if they know about it.
In the near future you can think about getting him a new friend. Where abouts are you? We can recommend rescues that do boar dating!
I just wanted to add that if Earnie is eating as normal and seems perky then i wouldn't worry too much, he may be quiet for a few days but this is normal.
Sorry again, Alyson x x

p.s don't take Earnie to the vet. To be brutally honest your vet doesn't sound very guinea savvy. The injections that they're giving for pain relief sound odd. Pigs can be given oral metacam for pain relief.
Where are you located often people on here can recommend a guinea pig vet- yes unfortunately not alot of vets are trained to look after guineas... X

One of my friends has just suggested that but I'm not sure it would be easy for the children (or me tbh). Would it be terrible of me not to do it?

My vet is companion care in Stockport.

I'm worried about getting another GP, I've lost 2 now and can't help feeling I'm not a good owner.

One of my friends has just suggested that but I'm not sure it would be easy for the children (or me tbh). Would it be terrible of me not to do it?

My vet is companion care in Stockport.

I'm worried about getting another GP, I've lost 2 now and can't help feeling I'm not a good owner.

Guinea Pigs can go down hill very quickly, you did the best you can you went to the vets. I would advise, like Alyson finding a more Guinea Pig Savy vet but it is not a result of your care sometimes our pigs get sick and don't make it. Generally when pigs are ill and you notice they are not a little bit Sick if there are noticable symptons they are VERY sick, this is why its important to know your pigs and sometimes even when you do its just not enough. I lost a pig last week too its not nice but it does happen all we can take the comfort in his the fact we did our best.

Guinea Pigs are sociable animals and do better with company, I would recommend getting him a friend.

just left Eric in with Ernie for a few moments, very moving but very sad :(

Fair enough if you don't want to do it, it's difficult. Though remember it's in Ernie's best interest. Could you get your Hubby to do it?
I don't think it's you that's a bad owner, it sounds like you've had a bad run. Someone on here must be able to recommend a pig savvy vet in the Manchester area. Small Paws rescue is in Stretford and would be able to help you find a friend for Ernie and help with anything you have questions about. Also now you've found us you're in safe hands! Alyson x

just saw your last post well done for getting up the courage. Earnie Will be better knowing his friend is over the bridge now. Big hugs x x

It was ridiculously poignant :( I'd be worried about getting Ernie a friend until I was absolutely sure he isn't poorly. If anyone could recommend a vet that would be great.

Thanks for all your advice Alyson.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back