• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Poorly pigs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I found this website whist doing a search to see if i could find out what was wrong with my pigs as had to wait 1 1/2 to get an appointment with the vet. Spike is very poorly and needed fluids at the vets. Pig needed antibiotics. The vet thinks it may have been a dodgy batch of food. I have been crying non stop since i found them ill, just got a call from the vet. Both are ready to come home! Well i just broke down, i thought they were gona say spike had passed away. I know he's not out of the woods and i will fight as long as he fights. :'(

Hi welcome to the forum,

Glad to hear Spike and Pig are on the mend, you've found a very helpful friendly forum here :) How old are Spike and Pig?

Bev x x

hi there, they are 7 months old. Still babies. Spike is still weak. My other half said dont spend all night with them. Yeah right! ;D

Hello and welcome to the forum, it's nice to meet you :)
Hope to hear that they continue to improve.

Look forward to chatting later,
Barbara

Thanks for the replys and welcomes.
I've read a couple of things that say they've fed their sick piggies milk with water. But i just read something that said dont. Has anyone here fed them milk when poorly? 98)

I have over the years used brown bread and diluted warm condensed milk to encourage them to eat beofre and add a few poops to it yes really it adds something to help the gut, but in general its best to try critical care and thing slike cucumber and melon its full of water and soft,

Hi i'm sorry your pigs are sick, i'm afraid I dont know if its a good idea to feed them milk... If you have vegetable baby food - carrot flavour or something i think thats good for getting them well. If your pigs have been given antibiotics they should also have a probiotic (am i right anyone) because the natural gut flora of the pig is upset by taking antibiotics. can anyone else give more info please i'm a bit crap with the details?!
I hope they get better soon
Alyson x

Thanks for all the reply, the are really appreciated! Both piggies have had 2.5% of Baytril. Spike has also had 'Dexadreson', no idea what that is, plus he's had fluids at the vets. Managing to get water into them, but neither seem keen on eating much. I'l try bread next, they may like that. Thanks. :)

Big no-no on the dairy products as piggies cannot break down the sugars in milk and it could cause them to become ill. Bread also has more carbohydrates than a pig needs. You need something with fibre in it to keep his digestive system going - preferably Oxbow Critical Care or Science Recovery. If you can't get either of these then a balance of organic veg, no spice/salt pepper baby food along with a mash made out of his pellet food would also work OK.

Its 4am and Spike is still batteling. He's eating a tiny bit of mushed up pellets, better then nothing!
Come on my lil lads.

Back form vets again. She was surprised to see lil Spike still alive and was even more surprised to hear he had eaten a tiny bit. Said his hydration was much better. Gave them both another shot of baytril, spike also had something else. Not sure what though. Sent home with more baytril, some 'Bio lapsis', the good bacteria and some stuff like Critical Care. Hearing the vet say 'he's still with us then?' made me so glad i stayed up all night with my boys. £80 in 2 days! I'm sure my OH thinks £80 is a fine price if it stops me crying unconsolably. ;D

Hi and welcome, what a rotten start for you :'(

Keep on tempting him with any foods he likes, try all fruits and veggies. Yes great that he'll take the mushed up pellets good for him. I hope you've got some Critical Care it's got everything needed in it. I also feed pureed baby foods, apples and veggies make sure no meat etc are in it.

Best of luck we all know what you're going thru and it's the pits but remember we are all here for you, i'm sure there will be someone on line you can chat to most times, it really helps to have the support. Don't forget to keep up the fluids as well. Please know also that you're trying your best and i wish you well.

Thanks Glynis, seems Spike is on the mend. He's perked up, but i dont want to get to optemistec. Poor lil Pig seems to be feeling a bit rubbish now. Doesn't want to eat or drink, when i syringe it he just lets it sit in his mouth. Another long night, good job i'm not doing anything till Sunday!

I am sooooo sorry. I know what you are going through. One of my guinea pigs died in my hands once, then one of my rabbits and another rabbit in my sons arms (he was only 7 at the time but wouldn't give her to me), he wanted to be with her to the end. It all happened over a couple of weeks and we were devastated. Remember the good times - it really does help. Take care, Karen

I am so so sorry. I am tears reading this thread. My gorgeous Jack died on Tuesday also. We have to remember how much we adore and take care of them, when some others wouldn't. Please take some comfort from that. They have the best life with us piggy lovers x

I am sorry to hear of your loss to. Thanks for reading guys and all the replys, it really does mean a lot.
I've just burried Pig in the garden next to all my other lil pigges that are no longer with me. I'm sure they're taking good care of him. I hope Spike doesnt miss him to much. He still has a way to go before he is better. xx :'(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back