• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Poorly vs healthy piggy

Jessdaisymay

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a relatively new piggie mummy, about 8 months now. I have a pair of sisters who usually get along very well (they're about a year and a half old now) with the occasional argument. This past week one of my girls became unwell and I have had to syringe feed her, taken her to the vets twice and she has been out the cage a fair bit as I have been looking after her. This morning she is much more like her normal self and is eating and drinking normally. However my other guinea pig now is being aggressive towards her, she hasn't bitten or scratched her at all but will chase her out of their bedding or away from food.

Just wondering if anybody has any tips at all?

From one very tried and exhausted piggie mummy 😴

Sometimes the power can shift when there is one ill piggy. As long as there’s no biting or serious fallout then you just have to let them sort it out. The top pig will always get first pick of hides etc, so chasing her away is normal.

With regards food, it’s normal to take food from each other. But if it looks like the other pig is not letting her eat, then perhaps start scatter feeding the pellets and hand feed the veg one at a time to each piggy, top pig first.

If she’s being chased away from hay then set up another hay feeding station.

Sometimes the power can shift when there is one ill piggy. As long as there’s no biting or serious fallout then you just have to let them sort it out. The top pig will always get first pick of hides etc, so chasing her away is normal.

With regards food, it’s normal to take food from each other. But if it looks like the other pig is not letting her eat, then perhaps start scatter feeding the pellets and hand feed the veg one at a time to each piggy, top pig first.

If she’s being chased away from hay then set up another hay feeding station.

Thank you 🙂 Yes my other piggie has always been the more dominant, heavier one who tended to be a bit more bossy. I've got two food bowls for their pellets, so I will set up another hay one as well. Touch wood since I posted this there has been no more arguments. I think I'm just an overprotective mummy who wants to make sure they're both okay. Really appreciate your reply, thank you.

It’s probably just a case of top pig reinforcing her dominance rather than arguing. Make sure the bowls are far apart as well, but bear in mind top pig can finish hers and go for the other bowl!

It’s probably just a case of top pig reinforcing her dominance rather than arguing. Make sure the bowls are far apart as well, but bear in mind top pig can finish hers and go for the other bowl!

Yes I will move the bowls further apart, thanks for that tip 🙂 I've just been in and seen a small clump of fur, so I'm guessing one of them has had a go at the other. I've checked the poorly one out and I cannot see any fur gone or scratches/bite/cuts at all.

Update - they both seem to be getting on okay now i have created separate hay stations and their bowls are further apart 🙂

Back