• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Popped Sebaceous Cyst, Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
My pig Stella had a pretty small cyst on her rump for months now and it burst tonight. I squeezed a lot of waxy white junk from it until she had enough but some still remains. I dabbed hydrogen peroxide (hope that's not bad!) and just left it. Some of the gunk is in her fur and I'm wondering if there's a better way to go about cleaning it? And is it a threat to her if not all of the gunk is expelled or stays stuck in her fur? I tried my best to pull it from her fur and clean it but she has had enough for tonight.​

She needs to see a vet ASAP if she hasn't already.

The vet will probably flush it out and she will certainly need antibiotics.

As for cleaning, I wouldn't mess with it too much, but just make sure shes not getting stuff in it (hay, shavings etc.), and the vet will be able to advise you for more long-term maintenance.

when ches had a cyst, the vet said you can drain it and flush it with hibiscrub. but he did say if it burst then don't panic, just ring him and bring ches in for it to be checked.

I've had cysts drained and cleaned too with no need for antibiotics.

I would ask a vet to check it - in some areas on the pigs body they want to remove them. Not sure about the hydrogen peroxide I also used hibiscrub as prescribed.

I used diluted hibiscrub to flush a lanced cyst too. Pippa's was on her side. She had a treatment of antibiotics too. I know what you mean about getting the gunk in the fur, it's yucky stuff! Our vet trimmed the area with hair clippers, so maybe yours would do the same?

Hope your pig is okay and heals quickly

As previously mentioned, get her to the vet to check it out. Dindy has a recuring syst about 5mm diameter on her right flank. It has been caught or burst several times now over the last year with no harm to her. My vet provided me with some hibiscrub to wash it and told me to keep a check on any sudden increase in size. It's not in a significant enough place to need surgery. Your vet will advise you in regard to your piggies situation. Dindy knows when I'm feeling for her syst and sucks her waist in, little madam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back