• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Possible Constipation/ Appetite Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bella123

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have noticed a slight difference in fifi after taking the baytrill. She is on pro c probiotic and poop soup for those who don't know.

I don't know whether I being overly concerned as these have been very slight and gradual.

She does sleep in the day as most piggies do, but this morning she is sitting/lying about more.
Sometimes especialy this morning Ive noticed she be sitting with front legs up on front paws and her back legs sitting down, she do this for short prolonged moments.

I know in my mind she is a little more active then this. She just seems a bit fed up.

I've been checking her poops also, there seems to be less in the cage then normal,

but she is producing them as I have seen consuming her own.

Its just I'm not totally sure whether she is pooping the other (if you know what I mean). I did separare flash and her there was some left but not as many.

She seems to be still intersested in food, she will come for new hay when that is put out, eats her veggie no problem and pellets.

Its just regarding the food she seems a tiny bit less interested, but I dont know whether I'm worrying to much or noticing it more.

What steps can I take if loss of appetite and the possible constipation escalate into something slihgtly more serious?

Also I'm putting 1/16 of a scoop of probiotic into 10ml of water and syringe feeding 1ml of this to her, is this enough?

The poop soup is about 4 fresh poops from flash to a bit of water I also syringe 1ml of this is this enough?

Her weight is also stable

I have noticed a slight difference in fifi after taking the baytrill. She is on pro c probiotic and poop soup for those who don't know.

I don't know whether I being overly concerned as these have been very slight and gradual.

She does sleep in the day as most piggies do, but this morning she is sitting/lying about more.
Sometimes especialky this morning Ive noticed she be sitting with front legs up on front paws and her back legs sitting down, she do this for short prolonged moments.

I know in my mind she is a little more active then this. She just seems a bit fed up.

I've been checking her poops also, there seems to be less in the cage then normal,

but she is producing them as I have seen consuming her own.

Its just I'm not totally sure whether she is pooping the other (if you know what I mean). I did separare flash and her there was some left but not as many.

She seems to be still intersested in food, she will come for new hay when that is put out, eats her veggie no problem and pellets.

Its just regarding the food she seems a tiny bit less interested, but I dont know whether I'm worrying to much or noticing it more.

What steps can I take if loss of appetite and the possible constipation escalate into something slihgtly more serious?

Also I'm putting 1/16 of a scoop of probiotic into 10ml of water and syringe feeding 1ml of this to her, is this enough?

The poop soup is about 4 fresh poops from flash to a bit of water I also syringe 1ml of this is thus enough?

Hi! Please take a deep breath! Don't drive yourself mad by hovering over Fifi like a hunting hawk.

She is fine as she is. Her behaviour is not out of order, either. Please remember that we have just come out of a very nasty heat wave that has been VERY humid and taxing on every human and piggy at the end. The poos you see always reflect what has gone on 1-2 days before, not was is going on now.
Things will settle once we have all had a chance to recover from that; I for once have not had much in the way of an appetite and my piggies (except those in season) have been mostly slumping around.

As long as Fifi has normal formed poos and is still interested in food, she is eating and processing well enough and there is nothing wrong with her. ;)

Please weigh your girl once daily at the same time, ideally before either breakfast or dinner in order to eliminate daily the swings resulting from a full/empty belly and bladder, which can make up to 40g difference over the course of 24 hours. This gives you the answer you are looking for much more concisely than playing Hawk Eye. The latter is useful, but only as long as you do not go off in a pelter at the smallest change in behaviour.

Fifi is coming fine and she is no danger whatsoever.
Do NOT worry until there is either a loss of 50g from one day to another or there is a steady gradual small loss from a day to day. Contact your vet and start offering top-up syringe feed Supermarket scales a perfectly fine for the job of weight monitoring.
Only then do you step in with offering top-up syringe feed and water, as much as she wants to take, and contact your vet if you are very worried.

Hi! Please take a deep breath! Don't drive yourself mad by hovering over Fifi like a hunting hawk.

She is fine as she is. Her behaviour is not out of order, either. Please remember that we have just come out of a very nasty heat wave that has been VERY humid and taxing on every human and piggy at the end. The poos you see always reflect what has gone on 1-2 days before, not was is going on now.
Things will settle once we have all had a chance to recover from that; I for once have not had much in the way of an appetite and my piggies (except those in season) have been mostly slumping around.

As long as Fifi has normal formed poos and is still interested in food, she is eating enough and there is nothing wrong with her. ;)

Please weigh your girl once daily at the same time, ideally before either breakfast or dinner in order to eliminate daily the swings resulting from full/empty betties and bladder, which can make up to 40g difference in 24 hours. This gives you the answer you are looking for much more concisely than playing Hawk Eye. The latter is only useful as long as you do not go off in a pelter at the smallest change in behaviour.

Fifi is coming fine and she is no danger whatsoever.
Do NOT worry until there is either a loss of 50g from one day to another or there is a steady gradual small loss from a day to day. Contact your vet and start offering top-up syringe feed Supermarket scales a perfectly fine for the job of weight monitoring.
Only then do you step in with offering top-up syringe feed and water, as much as she wants to take, and contact your vet if you are very worried.

Thanks for your reassuring reply, I still have a lot to learn about their health so a but unsure on whats normal.

I've been keeping piggies 6+ years and still worry myself like mad when they're unwell or acting a little 'not right'!
My previous two older adopted boys had a lot of problems towards the end of their lives so my current two are always getting me peering in the cage to check they're breathing! When all they're doing is snoozing on their sides! Poor piggies!
So you're not alone in being a worrier!

Hope all goes well for you and Fifi x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back