• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Possible eye issue?

Lmarie15

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Cleveland has been eating, pooping, drinking and acting normal. I noticed a few weeks ago the top part of one of his eyes looked like gunk was in it, but realized it looks like its part of him. Ive looked in his eye and see nothing in it and he doesn't seem to have an issue. I'm wondering if this is something I should be concerned about? He's about 6 1/2 now. 20200820_192704.jpg

Hannah_xx

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Australia, Victoria. (originally from Essex, UK)
His eye looks nice and clear from the photo, However it does look a bit watery and certainly shouldn’t ever have gunk.
He could possible have a bit of hay stuck in his eye.
Eyes are so precious and can quickly go down hill, best bet is to take him to the vet ASAP for a check up and peace of mind.
Most members are from the U.K., so everyone’s getting their beauty sleep right now! You’ll get more experienced replies in a few hours.
:)

Lmarie15

New Born Pup
Reaction score
His eye looks nice and clear from the photo, However it does look a bit watery and certainly shouldn’t ever have gunk.
He could possible have a bit of hay stuck in his eye.
Eyes are so precious and can quickly go down hill, best bet is to take him to the vet ASAP for a check up and peace of mind.
Most members are from the U.K., so everyone’s getting their beauty sleep right now! You’ll get more experienced replies in a few hours.
:)
Thank you! That makes sense, I forgot this was a UK form. 🙂 its really hard to get a guinea pig into a vet right now with COVID here even if its an emergency. You also still have to leave your pets in a carrier outside by the door and talk to the vet over the phone, so I'm more hesitant to bring him in since he's had no changes in behavior. Its like brown flesh from underneath his eye. It hasn't gotten any worse since I first noticed it and when I move his eye to look at it, it almost looks like its completely gone for a few seconds before it slowly comes out a bit again. He's my oldest, so idk if its an age thing maybe?

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Yes leaving your piggies by the door and speaking over the phone to the vet is now the normal practice.
Piggies often won’t have changes in behaviour for certain medical conditions, but it doesn’t mean that they are ok. They hide illnesses and pain, it’s part of being a prey animal, so you can’t tell that there isn’t something wrong but actually they could be very poorly. This is why weighing piggies weekly is essential as it is often the early warning sign of problems brewing.

Back to the eyes, any eye issues are classed as urgent so if you have concerns then you need to take your piggy to the vet, eyes need to be seen within 24 hours of noticing a problem. The vet can put dyes in their eye to check for ulceration (eyes can look cloudy) and check under uv lights, they can just generally look into the eye in ways that you can’t. Do have your piggy seen if you are concerned

Could you also please add your country and region to your profile as it makes it easier for us to tailor our advice.