• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Possible Foot Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lakepig

New Born Pup
Reaction score
For the last week my female piggie, Mayberry has been laying around a lot more, no running, and no pop-corning. She seems to be hopping more than walking. I've checked her all over and she has no visible problems. I've checked her legs and nothing feels broken and she doesn't sequel while I touch them. While walking or standing she doesn't seem to put a lot of pressure on her front foot. This foot just happens to be her black foot and the hardest one for me to clip her nails. I started thinking maybe her nails are too long and bothering her. I'd hate to clip her nails while her foot hurts if that's not the problem. Any advice?
She is eating and drinking good she's also pooping plenty.

IMG_2469.JPG

It does look quite long. Could you take her to a vet? They may be able to check it over and cut the nails. I think, to see the quick easier, you put it under a uv light, not sure

The nails do look a bit long, but if she is on soft bedding it should affect her walking that dramatically.
I would definitely pop her along to the vet, ask them to give the nails a quick trim and have a look at her walking while you are there.

For the last week my female piggie, Mayberry has been laying around a lot more, no running, and no pop-corning. She seems to be hopping more than walking. I've checked her all over and she has no visible problems. I've checked her legs and nothing feels broken and she doesn't sequel while I touch them. While walking or standing she doesn't seem to put a lot of pressure on her front foot. This foot just happens to be her black foot and the hardest one for me to clip her nails. I started thinking maybe her nails are too long and bothering her. I'd hate to clip her nails while her foot hurts if that's not the problem. Any advice?
She is eating and drinking good she's also pooping plenty.

View attachment 62409

Hi! Please see a vet. Hopping/limited mobility can have various causes, from a simple sprain to scurvy (vitamin C) deficiency or arthritis, as well as neurological issues. Only a vet can determine the actual cause and can treat accordingly.

That nail is a bit on the long side, but it is not the cause of your her mobility issue. You can cut a black nail safely to just about where it starts being uneven; the smooth bit is the live one.

Hi I would visit a vet with this. The nails are not causing any problem at all. I adopted a sow with overgrown nails recently and despite her feet having started to turn out she was still very mobile and not squealing so I would think the pain is coming from elsewhere. I deal with black nails by taking a very small amount but more regularly than I clip the piggies with see through nails.

Hey y'all just wanted to give a recap. My Mayberry ended up just having a sprain. She kind of limped around for 8 days but then she was back to running and hopping and popcorning like a champ. I still don't know how she did it but she's a happy piggie these days. I'm also clipping her black foot the same as the rest, I just had to get over my nerves.

Hey y'all just wanted to give a recap. My Mayberry ended up just having a sprain. She kind of limped around for 8 days but then she was back to running and hopping and popcorning like a champ. I still don't know how she did it but she's a happy piggie these days. I'm also clipping her black foot the same as the rest, I just had to get over my nerves.

Always clip the lighter foot first and then you have a good idea how far back you trim black nails on the other side.

Glad that it was just a light sprain. They are not at all uncommon, as a popcorning and jumping piggy can easily twist and sprain with a misjusdged landing. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back