• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Possible fungal skin infection?

Dilly's Piggies

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've come here because I'm really not sure if some of my piggies have a slight fungal issue or whether they just have dry skin, I'm hoping someone will be able to help...

Ever since I first got Dolly 3 years ago she has had skin issues, she's a Lunkarya and actually came to me with a case of ringworm when she was a baby. I treated her and the rest of my piggies and it hasn't come back since.

However Dolly still has a lot of dry skin flakes all over her body and she has hard yellow callous like things on her feet that do not look like spurs. They are not red or swollen. Is this normal for her breed?

Some of my other piggies have dry flaky skin on their backs and ears too, but none of them have any hair loss, scabs, itching or redness.

Another thing throwing me off is that they've had this for a couple of years now, I keep thinking that if it was an infection of any kind it would've progressed by now.

Does anyone know what is going on and how I can fix it? Thanks!

I’m afraid I don’t know. But you could perhaps post a photo to show us. Have you ever taken them to the vets to have the dry skin incidents checked out? I know teddy’s can suffer from dry skin but I don’t know about lunkaryas

Hi @CavyConnoisseur I see you also have a recent H&I thread about sore feet, so maybe its a good idea to pop your piggies along to the vets and get a good all over check up, especially if you have more than one potential health issue going on!

Hi @CavyConnoisseur I see you also have a recent H&I thread about sore feet, so maybe its a good idea to pop your piggies along to the vets and get a good all over check up, especially if you have more than one potential health issue going on!
Hiya! Yeah its only one piggie that has the foot issue so I dont know if its related to this... my other 5 dont have it. I agree though hopefully the vet can help

Hiya! Yeah its only one piggie that has the foot issue so I dont know if its related to this... my other 5 dont have it. I agree though hopefully the vet can help
Hiya! Sorry I'm so so so late to this thread, I'm just wondering what your vet came back with as I think one of mine seems to have dry skin likes yours and I dont think she has spurs but her feet to sometimes have little white bits on them. Again not red or swollen at all though. Thanks 😊

Hiya! Sorry I'm so so so late to this thread, I'm just wondering what your vet came back with as I think one of mine seems to have dry skin likes yours and I dont think she has spurs but her feet to sometimes have little white bits on them. Again not red or swollen at all though. Thanks 😊
Hi! The vet did examine and a skin scraping to test for fungal or any other issues but it came back inconclusive, so they said she just has dry skin much like teddies.

I've been putting coconut oil or gorgeous guineas F&M ointment on her feet and ears every week and bathing her in gorgeous guineas manuka and neem shampoo every 8 weeks and this keeps it under control 😊

Back