• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Possible Impactation After Medication?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ross

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've got a 4 year old male guinea pig. Last night we took him to the emergency vets after a suspected fractured foot/leg or abscess. He received 3 injections - antibiotics (baytril), anti-inflammatory and a painkiller (metacam)

He is now on antibiotics twice a day and painkiller once a day. We have now noticed he's starting to impact we think as his faeces aren't coming out normally. Is there anything we can do about this ourselves until we can take him to the vets.

Thanks, would appreciate any advice.

The one I have is avipro plus (you don't have to get that one, the pets at home one is fine), it's a powder and you mix it with water then syringe it to the guinea around 1 - 2 hours after they've had their anitbiotics. The instructions should be on the tub.

The one I have is avipro plus (you don't have to get that one, the pets at home one is fine), it's a powder and you mix it with water then syringe it to the guinea around 1 - 2 hours after they've had their anitbiotics. The instructions should be on the tub.[/QUOTE

Okay thanks for the help. I can't get to a shop until tomorrow night now so will pellets soaked and mashed in warm and then fed via by syringe be helpful for now?

Okay thanks for both of your suggestions. We're currently feeding him the mashed up pellets as he is not eating or drinking himself. I will look into getting some probiotics tomorrow.

Ok, please don't hesitate to come and post again if your having problems feeding or giving him water through a syringe.

I would also give your vet a call and ask about the problem as well, just to make sure there is nothing else wrong.

I also forgot to mention that we have people like Wiebke, Helen, Pebbles etc. that are really experienced with guinea pigs and its Wiebke that does a lot of the advice threads :) I'm a newbie still lol.

I would also speak to your vet about splitting the pain relief into 2 so it is given twice a day as piggies have sucha fast metabolism. Is it dog or cat Metacam you have been given?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back