• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Possible Mites Or Lice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adrianne88

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all. I recently adopted a young cavie, shes approximately 3 months old. She's being quarantined right now and seems to be doing quite well. The only thing I've noticed is she is itching a lot. I took a picture of her and notice she has small white specks on her face. I'm wondering if this is lice? I feel like I should just take her to the vet to be safe but I was wondering if anyone has advice as to what it could be. My other guinea pig Jellybean has not come into contact with her but has seen her through her cage, so I'm also wondering if I should have jellybean checked as well just to be safe.

20170304_194746.jpg

Hmmmm... It isn't mites that presents as balding patches all cut up - normally o=n the back of piggy. Tagging in @helen105281

The bit i have circled below looks like it may be fungal possibly
upload_2017-3-6_16-32-53.png

I think it's fungal as well, if it goes into a large patch around the eye I would get it checked asap in case it's ringworm.

Hmmmm... It isn't mites that presents as balding patches all cut up - normally o=n the back of piggy. Tagging in @helen105281

The bit i have circled below looks like it may be fungal possibly
View attachment 60108

I just called the vet and she has an appt tomorrow afternoon. I really hope it's nothing serious or life threatening.:(

I think it's fungal as well, if it goes into a large patch around the eye I would get it checked asap in case it's ringworm.

I just made an appt for her to see the vet tomorrow. I hope it's nothing too serious or life threatening.

I just made an appt for her to see the vet tomorrow. I hope it's nothing too serious or life threatening.

it is not life threatening. Could be a little bit of fungal or perhaps running lice which present as white flecks. Try not to worry you have caught it very early.

it is not life threatening. Could be a little bit of fungal or perhaps running lice which present as white flecks. Try not to worry you have caught it very early.

If it is ringworm though, isn't that contagious to humans also?
None of those things are life threatening it's just best to catch them early, then they can be treated quickly.

Can't ringworm be transmitted to humans though?

Agree it does look fungal but in the very early stages. Have a read of the guide that Lee has linked to as it really helps minimise the risks of it spreading to you or other animals.

Good luck for the vets appointment. It looks like whatever it is you have caught it early so fingers crossed it clears up soon.

Thank you for your help and advice. I will be sure to let everyone know what the vet tells me tomorrow. I'm hoping for the best. She's so sweet and I just don't want her to be in any discomfort. I adopted her from a local shelter, a friend of mine told me that someone had dropped off 4 baby guinea pigs and left them outside in a box. I knew I needed to at least take one of them in and give it a good home. The only thing I was concerned with, is that I have no idea where she initially came from and how she was handled prior to me taking her in. I also don't know what her living conditions were like either. So she's obviously in quarantine for now and then it will possibly be for a longer period of time if she does in fact have a fungal infection.

It's certainly not life threatening and you've had some great advice. Good luck getting sorted.

Hello all, just wanted to give every one an update on Snickers. We just got back from the vet and he said she has lice and a respiratory infection. She recieved a revolution treatment and will go back in 10 days for a second treatment. I gave her the first dose of antibiotics and she had no problem taking it, in fact she wanted more of it. He looked at the bald spot around her eye and said it was from her scratching and also said it looked like she may have been in a fight with another guinea pig prior to me taking her in. She has a small tear on her ear also. I'm hoping she makes a quick recovery from all of this.

Thanks for the update sending lots of healing vibes!

Thanks for the update sending lots of healing vibes!
Thank you, I appreciate that. So far treatment is going well, Snickers is taking her antibiotics and is eating and drinking normally. The itching is still going on, but it's not as bad as it was, so I'm already seeing a little bit of improvement. The vet wasn't even certain she had lice, he said it could possibly be dry skin, but just to be safe he did the revolution. As far as the respiratory infection, when he looked at her, she rubbed her nose and he saw mucus on her foot. I feel bad that I myself didn't notice that. I never even considered the possibility of her having a respiratory infection.

PSX_20170307_204801.jpg

I forgot to mention the vet said she is a little underweight. She weighs 295 grams. To me that seems so small. Is this normal? She's about 2 and a half months old. She's eating normally but I can easily feel her bones when I hold her. The vet told me not to be alarmed, but obviously I'm going to be alarmed. Shes my baby.

Awww, she is tiny. Up her veg a little bit. She may just be a small piggy but I would expect her to be a little larger for that age too. Don't worry I am sure she'll have a growth spurt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back