• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Possible pasteurella or URI

Myrna83

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi! We bought our 2-month-old guinea pig, Dora, from a pet shop. I know it's not a good option but where I live there aren't guinea pigs to adopt.

My concern is that she has a slight clear discharge from her nose and sneezes more than 10 times a day. Her bedding is fleece, so I don't think it's an allergy. She's been having vitamin C and echinacea for 5 days (vet recommendations). She eats well, doesn't drink much (but I think she's getting water from fresh vegetables), and she's gaining weight (12 grams in 5 days). She's not super active, but she's alone until we know she's totally fine (we've got 2 other guinea pigs), so that could be the reason why she isn't so active. She seems to breathe fine, although at night she snores. Is this normal or might the clear discharge mean she's got a URI?

We went to the vet last Friday and she wasn't able to confirm if Dora was sick or not. She prescribed Marbocyl but told us not to give it to her if she didn't get worse, which she hasn't, and told us she might have pasteurella as she came from a pet shop.

So, all in all, I'd like to know if clear discharge and sneezing could mean having pasteurella or URI, even though the guinea pig is eating well, gaining weight, calling for us when we are near her and playing with us. Is it enough to start giving her antibiotics?

Thanks!

Hi! We bought our 2-month-old guinea pig, Dora, from a pet shop. I know it's not a good option but where I live there aren't guinea pigs to adopt.

My concern is that she has a slight clear discharge from her nose and sneezes more than 10 times a day. Her bedding is fleece, so I don't think it's an allergy. She's been having vitamin C and echinacea for 5 days (vet recommendations). She eats well, doesn't drink much (but I think she's getting water from fresh vegetables), and she's gaining weight (12 grams in 5 days). She's not super active, but she's alone until we know she's totally fine (we've got 2 other guinea pigs), so that could be the reason why she isn't so active. She seems to breathe fine, although at night she snores. Is this normal or might the clear discharge mean she's got a URI?

We went to the vet last Friday and she wasn't able to confirm if Dora was sick or not. She prescribed Marbocyl but told us not to give it to her if she didn't get worse, which she hasn't, and told us she might have pasteurella as she came from a pet shop.

So, all in all, I'd like to know if clear discharge and sneezing could mean having pasteurella or URI, even though the guinea pig is eating well, gaining weight, calling for us when we are near her and playing with us. Is it enough to start giving her antibiotics?

Thanks!

Hi!

You are definitely not dealing with pasteurella, as that is a lot more aggressive.
It is also not necessarily an URI. Please keep in mind that many guinea pigs react to hay dust, which is often causing sneezing and a clear discharge to remove the bits that get into the nose. Since hay is making over 80% of the daily food intake, it is not something you can eliminate from the diet. I would recommend to research dust-free hay and trial different brands.
Some guinea can also be very sensitive to dry radiator or air con (especially when you start either), air fresheners and scent sticks as well as perfumed human skin products and washing powders. In summer, pollen can also be a source of allergy.

Back