• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Possible pop corning in 9 week guineas

NagaPabu

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello!

i recent got two 9 week old male guinea pigs, i’ve had them for a week, and this evening they have started to jump around and shake their heads, and also running quickly round the sides of their hutch, i think knocking into the sides. I’ve done a lot of research and they are eating all the right foods and when getting supplies i spoke to the people in the pet store whilst doing so to make sure it was all right for them. I was holding them whilst my partner was cleaning out their hutch and they were fine when we put them back in and only a few hours later started acting weird. They’ve also been emitting a low rumbling sound and swaying their hips but i think that might be down to them being brothers and still figuring out who is more dominant. Nothing else about their behaviour is amiss. All my research i’ve done online is saying that they are just pop corning and being excited and running around, but i’m a new owner and i just want to make sure they are okay/if there is anything i could do better!

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
:wel:

Rumbling is a normal dominance behaviour. All piggies will do it while they are establishing a hierarchy (it’s nothing to do with them being brothers). As they have moved to a new home, they will be in a period of establishing their relationship. You are going to see a lot of that kind of behaviour as they are heading towards their teens.

Popcorning and zoomies are signs of happy piggies!

Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets
A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs
Cage Size Guide
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips
'Popcorning' and 'zooming' - joy and exuberance (videos)

NagaPabu

New Born Pup
Reaction score
:wel:

Rumbling is a normal dominance behaviour. All piggies will do it while they are establishing a hierarchy (it’s nothing to do with them being brothers). As they have moved to a new home, they will be in a period of establishing their relationship. You are going to see a lot of that kind of behaviour as they are heading towards their teens.

Popcorning and zoomies are signs of happy piggies!

Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets
A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs
Cage Size Guide
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello!

i recent got two 9 week old male guinea pigs, i’ve had them for a week, and this evening they have started to jump around and shake their heads, and also running quickly round the sides of their hutch, i think knocking into the sides. I’ve done a lot of research and they are eating all the right foods and when getting supplies i spoke to the people in the pet store whilst doing so to make sure it was all right for them. I was holding them whilst my partner was cleaning out their hutch and they were fine when we put them back in and only a few hours later started acting weird. They’ve also been emitting a low rumbling sound and swaying their hips but i think that might be down to them being brothers and still figuring out who is more dominant. Nothing else about their behaviour is amiss. All my research i’ve done online is saying that they are just pop corning and being excited and running around, but i’m a new owner and i just want to make sure they are okay/if there is anything i could do better!
Hi and welcome

Please have a look at these guides here to learn more to understand about guinea pig behaviours; they have plenty of pictures and videos:
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

You also may all the information in our New Owners guide collection helpful - all the green guide links in this thread are also in there. You may want to bookmark this link, browse, read and re-read at need. We have included lots of information to help you learn what is normal and what not, how to make friends with your piggies in their own body language ('piggy whispering') plus housing, diet and care information etc. Getting Started - New Owners' Most Helpful Guides

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
:wel: Please double check to make sure that they’re both boars. Have you had a chance to weigh them yet? That should be done weekly. Are they housed in or outdoors? And their hutch is at least 150x60cm? We’d love to see some photos.