• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

possible seizure? help

Maysleen

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi. I'm currently very worried about my Toffee, this spring she turns 1 year old and about an hour ago she started behaving weird. After playtime I set her and my other piggie, Sherry, in their cage and gave them some hay. One moment she was fine and then she started walking around in her cage as if looking for something, she looked panicked but she wasn't making any sound. She just moved frantically, and it seemed abnormal enough for me to pick her up. I tried to hold her on my lap but she just wanted to jump off, and when she was attempting to do that I noticed she was stretching her left back leg, struggling, which caused her to kind of roll onto her side.
At this point I was starting to panic so I put her on a blanket. It was like she didn't want me touching her, she was just walking around confused, not making a sound. She was still bending her leg. She would sit down as they do when they sleep, but then she would get up quickly. None of her movements seemed normal though, but it didn't look like a regular seizure. I've seen guinea pig seizures and it looks nothing like it. On the contrary, she moved around a lot, as if trying to shake something off, all the while stretching her leg. Now she's back in her cage, eating her hay and drinking water.
The whole thing lasted for around 4 minutes, after which she didn't move for a few seconds, as if scared. I pet her gently and she jumped on my lap.
A few things to note here:
She did scratch herself twice during this episode, on the leg that she was weirdly stretching.
I'm not sure about mites. They are definitely shedding and scratching, I'm not sure about dandruff.
Sherry's back legs have very dry skin sometimes, which I treat with coconut oil.

If you could please tell me if you've ever seen anything similar to this, my piggies and I would be very grateful.
I will take her to a vet but I need to know what I can do for her in the meantime.
Thank you!

Hi. I'm currently very worried about my Toffee, this spring she turns 1 year old and about an hour ago she started behaving weird. After playtime I set her and my other piggie, Sherry, in their cage and gave them some hay. One moment she was fine and then she started walking around in her cage as if looking for something, she looked panicked but she wasn't making any sound. She just moved frantically, and it seemed abnormal enough for me to pick her up. I tried to hold her on my lap but she just wanted to jump off, and when she was attempting to do that I noticed she was stretching her left back leg, struggling, which caused her to kind of roll onto her side.
At this point I was starting to panic so I put her on a blanket. It was like she didn't want me touching her, she was just walking around confused, not making a sound. She was still bending her leg. She would sit down as they do when they sleep, but then she would get up quickly. None of her movements seemed normal though, but it didn't look like a regular seizure. I've seen guinea pig seizures and it looks nothing like it. On the contrary, she moved around a lot, as if trying to shake something off, all the while stretching her leg. Now she's back in her cage, eating her hay and drinking water.
The whole thing lasted for around 4 minutes, after which she didn't move for a few seconds, as if scared. I pet her gently and she jumped on my lap.
A few things to note here:
She did scratch herself twice during this episode, on the leg that she was weirdly stretching.
I'm not sure about mites. They are definitely shedding and scratching, I'm not sure about dandruff.
Sherry's back legs have very dry skin sometimes, which I treat with coconut oil.

If you could please tell me if you've ever seen anything similar to this, my piggies and I would be very grateful.
I will take her to a vet but I need to know what I can do for her in the meantime.
Thank you!

Hi!

Please contact a vet ASAP for a hands-on examination.

Keep her as quiet and comfortable as you can. There is nothing more you can do at home before you have a diagnosis; the worst thing is to treat on spec and to stress her out. If she is not moving much, please place a little food nearby but allow her to recover from her fit and do not stress her out any further.

Mange mite fitting is a symptom of advanced mange mites and doesn't happen at the onset. You won't see it without any other very visible symptoms of a mange mite infestation. Do you have bald and/or bloody skin patches, especially on the back?
Some pics of mange mite onset in the link below: What to check and look out for in new guinea pigs (vet checks, sexing, parasites&illness)
Advanced: Guinea Lynx :: Mange Mites
Tips For Vet Visits

Other causes of fitting can be neurological or caused by a stroke; that is why a vet visit is essential.

All the best!

Hi!

Please contact a vet ASAP for a hands-on examination.

Keep her as quiet and comfortable as you can. There is nothing more you can do at home before you have a diagnosis; the worst thing is to treat on spec and to stress her out. If she is not moving much, please place a little food nearby but allow her to recover from her fit and do not stress her out any further.

Mange mite fitting is a symptom of advanced mange mites and doesn't happen at the onset. You won't see it without any other very visible symptoms of a mange mite infestation. Do you have bald and/or bloody skin patches, especially on the back?
Some pics of mange mite onset in the link below: What to check and look out for in new guinea pigs (vet checks, sexing, parasites&illness)
Advanced: Guinea Lynx :: Mange Mites
Tips For Vet Visits

Other causes of fitting can be neurological or caused by a stroke; that is why a vet visit is essential.

All the best!
Thank you for the response. She is active now, moving just as much as a healthy pig, but I will try to make her comfortable and take her to the vet tomorrow. I have searched thoroughly and can't find any scabs or open wounds.. It's odd, really, but I will keep a close eye on her!

The first thing that comes to my mind is e.cuniculi, do you have rabbits?

This sounds like what my rabbit Bella did...

Back