• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Possible Sickness?

Nutter Butter

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Recently, I’ve been noticing that my guinea pig (Nutter Butter) has shown a a few signs of possible illness indicators and I want to get other people’s opinions before I schedule a vet appointment.
-Sometimes Nutter Butters breathing seems raspy or hard whenever she does any slightly more active than walk around casually.
-She seems to be overly fragile at times (has a sort of twitchy and mousy behavior)
-She’s been sleeping on her side often (she does this normally but I heard that this paired with possible symptoms may be caused by troubling illnesses)
Should I be concerned or am I just overreacting?

I don’t know to be honest. I would say take her to the vet if you’re worried. Better to take her and it be nothing. We can’t really tell you what’s wrong. Firstly we’re not qualified and secondly it needs a hands-on exam by a vet.

What do you mean when you say overly fragile? And what other symptoms are paired with sleeping on her side? Have you had a thread about her previously? It sounds somewhat familiar.

I think if you are worried, then you need to have her seen. It is simply not worth leaving your concerns unchecked. You know her best and can tell most easily when something is just off
Let us know how you get on

I don’t know to be honest. I would say take her to the vet if you’re worried. Better to take her and it be nothing. We can’t really tell you what’s wrong. Firstly we’re not qualified and secondly it needs a hands-on exam by a vet.

What do you mean when you say overly fragile? And what other symptoms are paired with sleeping on her side? Have you had a thread about her previously? It sounds somewhat familiar.
(Sorry about the lack of details, I’ll try to answer these questions the best I can)
When I say she seems overly fragile, she just always seems nervous sometimes her movements can be sudden even though I try to approach her very slowly. (I’m sorry if this dosen’t relate to the Health&Illness category, I just wanted to throw that detail out there incase it might have been needed)
(as far as I can tell) There are no direct symptoms linked to a guinea pig lying on its side but I’ve heard that they sometimes do that when in discomfort, pain, or when they can be overheated. My other guinea pig (Choco) used to sleep on her side for long periods of time. Especially when her time to pass away was near. Choco also showed signs of fast breathing and sudden twitchy movements though it was much more severe in her case.
And, yes, I’ve posted several other threads about Nutter Butter. Choco passed away at a very young age and I’ve been trying to try and give Nutter Butter a longer and happier life so you’ll probably see me often on the forum. (I’m sorry if this is becoming annoying, I’m still a amateur guinea pig owner)

(Sorry about the lack of details, I’ll try to answer these questions the best I can)
When I say she seems overly fragile, she just always seems nervous sometimes her movements can be sudden even though I try to approach her very slowly. (I’m sorry if this dosen’t relate to the Health&Illness category, I just wanted to throw that detail out there incase it might have been needed)
(as far as I can tell) There are no direct symptoms linked to a guinea pig lying on its side but I’ve heard that they sometimes do that when in discomfort, pain, or when they can be overheated. My other guinea pig (Choco) used to sleep on her side for long periods of time. Especially when her time to pass away was near. Choco also showed signs of fast breathing and sudden twitchy movements though it was much more severe in her case.
And, yes, I’ve posted several other threads about Nutter Butter. Choco passed away at a very young age and I’ve been trying to try and give Nutter Butter a longer and happier life so you’ll probably see me often on the forum. (I’m sorry if this is becoming annoying, I’m still a amateur guinea pig owner)

Hi!

Some piggies are naturally more skittish than others. In my own experience with adopting very nervous piggies I strongly suspect that they were all being born to very stressed out mothers (most often newly rescued sows from bad backgrounds) and experiences a high level of stress hormones as their normal life long 'default' setting. Some babies are more affected than others as I can see from those cases where I have adopted sisters.
This is something that you can only correct to a certain degree. It doesn't have anything to do with trust; just with how they react and how they experience life with much more trigger happy prey animal instincts.

As to sleeping on the side: I divide my piggies into 'pancakes' or 'barbecue sausages' according to their preferred sleeping position. You can see the breathing more clearly when a piggy is sleeping on the side and the intensity can vary.

It is normal that you are more jittery after the loss of a companion and hover over a remaining companion more closely. Your observation don't shout 'alarm' to me but if you are in any doubt, please have your piggies vet checked. We also recommend a general health check at the vets every 6 or at least every 12 months.

Hello Nutter Butter I would take her to a vet for a check up - also I would weigh her daily until you go.
Good luck

It’s not annoying. You have your reasons for being worried. Wiebke has given you some good advise. As said before there is no harm in taking her to the vet for a check.

Back