• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Possible URI?

kieronapple

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, I have just had Luna out & saw in the corner of her eye she had some white crispy stuff on it, i then saw her nose has a bit of a discharge, not a lot. I have attached pictures although it’s difficult to see. Is it a trip to the vets? I’m not sure what the vets are doing in the current climate

thank you

Attachments

• 4DDF3475-F69C-420E-8F0C-D2F7F2D63E10.jpeg
    4DDF3475-F69C-420E-8F0C-D2F7F2D63E10.jpeg
    156.6 KB · Views: 5
  • CB96A7AF-05DE-44D3-8FB8-58AE4F5B9441.jpeg
    CB96A7AF-05DE-44D3-8FB8-58AE4F5B9441.jpeg
    129.1 KB · Views: 5
Hi, I have just had Luna out & saw in the corner of her eye she had some white crispy stuff on it, i then saw her nose has a bit of a discharge, not a lot. I have attached pictures although it’s difficult to see. Is it a trip to the vets? I’m not sure what the vets are doing in the current climate

thank you
I would personally take her to the vet, but maybe @Wiebke can give you more advice. Goodluck!

thank you

Hi!

Here is a list of the different kinds of eye discharge you can come across.
- When you are looking for crusty eyes in a URI, you are looking for thick orangey/yellow/greenish gunk that glues the eyes together. It only appears in a well developed untreated upper respiratory infection and is not something you see at the onset of a respiratory infection.
- Milky white discharge is eye cleaning fluid that has not been absorbed by the tear duct.
- Translucent watery tear fluid is used to clear the eyes from any irritation; if it keeps running and the eye keeps squinting, is drawn in or bulging or developing spots/gunge inside or on top of the eye, you need to see a vet promptly (ideally as soon as you can within 24 hours) as you cannot see the full extend of an eye injury or infection with the naked eye. Any blood in the eye needs to be seen as an emergency. Eye injuries can deteriorate very quickly but they generally also heal pretty quickly if you step in asap.

Your piggy rather looks like it has had an encounter with some hay or bedding dust and has had a good sneeze and washed it out of the eye.
I would recommend to keep an eye on it if there are repeats or if things are getting noticeably worse but you are not mentioning or showing any of the URI red alerts like crackly or raspy breathing etc.

You may find these links here helpful. They help you to learn what is normal or not; something we all have to do. The following links are designed to help new owners.
New piggy problems: URI - ringworm - skin parasites
Early Signs Of Illness
Guinea pig body quirks - What is normal and what not?

Back