• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Possible UTI

lostox

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi,

My female guinea pig (four and a half years old) has been off her food for the last couple of days and now has very strong smelling urine. This morning she is refusing to eat or drink anything so I have began syringe feeding her. Other than the very strong smelling urine, and the lack of appetite she doesn't have any other symptoms of a UTI (doesn't vocalisation when urinating). She also has an ovarian cyst, which is has had for about 18 months. Could this be causing the problems?

Last week she lost one of her cage mates and I think she has been a little bit depressed. Is there anything I can do? I've given her a soft toy, but she has began excluding herself from the rest of the herd.

She's booked in to the see the vets this afternoon. Does it sound like a UTI or something else?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just so worried.

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Sorry I don’t have a clue. But all the best at the vets and let us know how you get on.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

My female guinea pig (four and a half years old) has been off her food for the last couple of days and now has very strong smelling urine. This morning she is refusing to eat or drink anything so I have began syringe feeding her. Other than the very strong smelling urine, and the lack of appetite she doesn't have any other symptoms of a UTI (doesn't vocalisation when urinating). She also has an ovarian cyst, which is has had for about 18 months. Could this be causing the problems?

Last week she lost one of her cage mates and I think she has been a little bit depressed. Is there anything I can do? I've given her a soft toy, but she has began excluding herself from the rest of the herd.

She's booked in to the see the vets this afternoon. Does it sound like a UTI or something else?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just so worried.
Hi!

A very strong smelly urine is the sign of an infection (cystitis). Please ask your vet to check the reproductive tract as well as the urinary tract in a sow and if necessary take an x-ray to see whether a stone or a problem with the uterus or ovarian cysts could be at the bottom.

It is not your classic UTI (which we don't see all that much of these days anyway).

All the best!

lostox

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi!

A very strong smelly urine is the sign of an infection (cystitis). Please ask your vet to check the reproductive tract as well as the urinary tract in a sow and if necessary take an x-ray to see whether a stone or a problem with the uterus or ovarian cysts could be at the bottom.

It is not your classic UTI (which we don't see all that much of these days anyway).

All the best!
Hi,
The vet has given us a course of antibiotics (Baytril) as he believes it is an infection. She now has terrible diarrhea, which smells awful. Will the Baytril make this worse?
The vet also injected some Metcam (to treat the diarrhea) and some fluid.

She is still refusing to eat, I've been syringing some recovery food that the vets have given me. Just hoping this will help.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,
The vet has given us a course of antibiotics (Baytril) as he believes it is an infection. She now has terrible diarrhea, which smells awful. Will the Baytril make this worse?
The vet also injected some Metcam (to treat the diarrhea) and some fluid.

She is still refusing to eat, I've been syringing some recovery food that the vets have given me. Just hoping this will help.
Hi!

I am very sorry!

Here is our diarrhea advice. Yes, the baytril is likely to impact on it as it is generally rougher on the gut microbiome.
Digestive Disorders: Diarrhea - Bloat - GI Stasis (No Gut Movement) And Not Eating

Please give as much poo soup, fibreplex or probiotics as you can.
Probiotics, Recovery Foods And Vitamin C: Overview With Product Links