• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Possible Vet Misdiagnosis? - Help Needed Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drezella

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Sorry for the long post, but I feel that I need to explain the events of the past week so that you can get the full picture of what's been going on with my boys.

I'm just wondering whether anyone knows what these symptoms might be? Last Tuesday 24th March I took my boys to the vets as Rohan my white boar had started twitching and nipping when being held, so I suspected that he and Paddy might have mites. The vet diagnosed that they have lice but she didn't specify what type. She examined Paddy but couldn't find anything, then she examined Rohan. We noticed small white flecks of what seemed to be dandruff near Rohan's rump, so she took a fur sample and had a look under the microscope and said that they have lice. I had taken in my own treatment (Beaphar ivermectin anti-parasite drops) to ask whether this could be used to treat the boys or used as a preventative measure for future use. The vet said that this would be suitable to treat the boys as she would have presecribed a topical skin treatment of ivermectin for them anyway. However the drops that she would have provided would have been more concentrated and applied more frequently. She said that the treatment should work, and to repeat it in 4 weeks as directed on the packet, to breaks lifecycle. But obviously she said that I could always go back if it didn't seem to be working or any other problems occurred.

The boys are eating, drinking, sleeping and going to the loo as normal. However, I am concerned as the boys had these drops put on them last Tuesday 24th March and since then they've still been itching quite a lot and twitching, and I've noticed that they've both now got what looks like dandruff in their fur, and whitish flecks towards the ends of the stands of hair, but no visible running lice. I've also found small clumps of fur when I've been cleaning out the cage and they are shedding a lot of fur when I hold them. There are no visible scabs either or rough patches of skin. They have also been chewing and nibbling things a lot more. That could be unrelated though.

I gave the boys a bath this Tuesday 3rd March just with normal shampoo to clean their grease glands as they needed cleaning, and I repeated the lice drop treatment once they were dry. The packet says repeat the treatment every 4 weeks, but the vet did say that her drops were more concentrated and that they repeat the treatment every two weeks, so I figured that it wouldn't hurt them as they've had a bath so the old dose of ivermectin will have been washed off. I also bought some Beaphar anti mange mite spray which I applied tonight (just a few sprays onto the skin) just in case they have mites. I know that mites would need injections of ivermectin, but I thought that it was worth applying it as it's got ivermectin in it, so if they have lice at least it will kill those off and soothe their skin a bit.

In terms of hygiene I change their fleece bedding fully every 3-4 days and I change the puppy pads in their beds 2-3 times each day, as well as poo picking 3-4 times a day and replacing the hay fully every 2-3 days. I also change my tops each day when handling them and wash my hands between handling each pig to try and reduce the possibility of spreading anything between them.

I am wondering whether the vet could have misdiagnosed them and whether they have got mites instead of lice, does anyone have any ideas or experience of this? Paddy did seem quite sore this evening when I sprayed his skin, so I don't want to keep treating them for lice if they've got something else, as so far they don't seem to be improving. I hate seeing my boys uncomfortable. :(

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Last edited:

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Could you please tell us whether you can see parasites or not? Mange mites are invisible. As you have just sprayed again, you will have to wait with any further Treatment until it has worn off. Fur or hay mites(also called static lice) usually don't cause real soreness on the Skin as what you see are egg cases sitting on the hair at the bum end. These generally react well to lice treatment and pretty easy to get on top of.
Running lice are White or yellowish Little things crawling around.
Mange mites are invisible and burrow their eggs in the increasingly painful and sore Skin; they are the most painful variety of piggy skin parasites and can kill. Hair that is stuck in Skin flakes Needs to be ckecked whether it is fungal rather than mange mites, as I strongly suspect is the case in the thread you are citing, that one os definitely not fur mites/static lice. Please be Aware that we cannot replace a proper vet diagnosis. We have got a piggy savvy vet locator on the top bar if you want to get a second opinion.
http://www.guinealynx.info/parasites.html
[URL]http://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html

http://shop.gorgeousguineas.com/identification-32-w.asp
http://shop.gorgeousguineas.com/photo-gallery-27-w.asp[/URL]

Dindypig

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I think that the link you provided @Drezilla shows a fungal infection. A shampoo called Vetsect is great for treating fungal and Mites. But first, follow Wiebkes advice to try and Identify the cause.

Drezella

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
The only things that I can see in their fur are what looks like dandruff flakes which aren't moving, and a few whitish dots on the end of the hair strands. I wondered whether they have mites rather than lice because I can't see anything else such as running lice on their fur/skin, but I don't have a magnifying glass to look more closely. They are itching a lot and seemed sore yesterday when being handled. I couldn't find any scabs or broken skin when I brushed their fur back with my hand to check, so I'm puzzled. I would have thought that if they had lice they'd be more comfortable by now as they have had 2 treatments plus an extra spray of anti mange mite spray.

I'm thinking about taking them back to the vets again if they don't seem to have improved by Monday, as I'm worried that the treatment that I've been using isn't working or isn't right.

Last edited:

Drezella

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
after having looked at the link to gorgeous guineas, I think they might have running lice and possibly a fungal infection as well. So I'll order some lice n easy and anti fungal shampoo stuff.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.