• UK storm warning - Danger of unseasonal high winds and falling trees! Please secure any hutches and sheds, and bring your guinea pigs and rabbits indoors if possible! Click Here for info

Possibly looking into fostering?

new_pigsitter

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello!

Not sure where to put this but here we go :)

So, I'm looking into fostering for a local small animal organization, and there's an option to foster guinea pigs, which, yes, I'd love to do that!

It's more just a vague idea with my family and I right now but it is something I want to do at some point anyhow, so might as well start now :)

Anyways, I'm just going to list down what care I'm looking at providing. Let me know if there's any issues :)

Cage: This will sorta depend on when I get my first group of pigs. If it's before my hamster cage is empty (about 120x107cm), then I'll make a 2x4/2x5 C&C cage, but if it's after my robo passes I'll just use the hamster cage.

Bedding: This may depend. The organization's foster care guide says I have to use carefresh or aspen, but I'll ask if I can use fleece. If I can't I'll just go with aspen as it's cheaper and smells nicer. If I have to use aspen I'll definitely make some fleece hides/cuddle cups so they don't have to sleep on the aspen.

Food: Timothy hay, Oxbow pellets (required by rescue, although I hear Oxbow is good for herbivores anyhow so no issues there?), and fresh veggies. I'll have to look more into what to feed/how often veggie wise and make a schedule but I'm definitely doing daily veg.

Vet care: most costs covered by rescue (ie they cover most major things, like tumors, spays/neuters, medication, etc. Essentially anything deemed necessary)

Playtime: I'm still sorta figuring this out. If it's nice out I'll work on pig-proofing my screened patio, but if not I'll let them free-roam in the bathroom or something. My room is unfortunately carpeted so that's off the list :P

Behavior/Relationships: I'm hoping I don't have to bond anyone, but I'll ask away if need be :) If I need to separate, I can just split the cage down the middle (maybe with extra C&C grids or something; possibly covering in cardboard so no fighting between the bars).
I'll only separate when blood is drawn, otherwise they can work it out on their own.

If any previous/current fosters are or there some advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks for any help!

~Robin

pig in the city

*Rescue Buddy*
Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Fostering is very rewarding but can also be heartbreaking. It sounds as if the rescue you are looking into is supportive of foster homes, which is good.
Try and just do short term fosters at first, it's easier to let them go if it's just a short period.
Don't take on anything you aren't sure about, you mention bonding, l would leave that to the rescue unless you are very experienced. It's very time consuming and stressful.
Best of luck, l hope it works out for you

new_pigsitter

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Made the veggie list! Let me know if there's any issues :)

I'll probably take dill off the list for Thursday; just realized how high the Ca: Ph ratio is there. Sorry about that!